Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

7,6 & 5 Irons

Posted by: user236642 | Thu 6th May 2010 15:37 | Last Reply

Having some real issues with the above irons at present, very happy with my 3 wood ,3 & 4 Hybrids 8 & 9 work most of the time and my wedges are my big saving grace at the moment, the putter is another story but an area i know i need to practise and am happy that if i do, it will improve.

But my mid irons are causing me problems and because of this i seem to be having to pitch on to every green as i get no distance out of the above clubs.

it never feels like i connect properly the ball seems to go straight but it defo feels like a duff shot (getting a bit 2 much ground maybe?)and i end up hitting it around 80 to 100 yards straight leaving my a pitch to get onto the green, its got to the stage where i would be better off hitting 2 PW into the greens beacuse i can cotrol my wedges reasonbly well.

if i try to give it that little extra i badly slice the ball but can feel my hands twisting at the last second if i swing slowly and smoothly the duff comes back - very irritating and any advice is badly needed.

Thanks in advance.

re: 7,6 & 5 Irons
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 6th May 2010 16:07

Paul,

Without seeing you hit balls, I can't give a definate answer.

But the Club set-up you discribe does give a clue.

You SWEEP your "Woods" and Hy-brids off the deck but you HIT your short Irons.

The 5, 6 & 7irons are then left in the middle, and you are not confident using them.

Concentrate on HITTING them, let the follow-through happen, and see how that goes.

TheLyth

user16106
Reply : Thu 6th May 2010 22:23

Getting too much ground as I see a lot of players do, this could be your ball position is too far left at address. Try adjusting ball position to your right and this should get rid of FAT shots.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user236642
Reply : Fri 7th May 2010 09:58

Cheers guys.

Steve, i usually get around around 165-170 out of my 4 rescue and 175-180 out of the 3 (before roll guess thats on the fly?) the 4 is my go to club if i'm struggling i know this is the club i can get out of the bag and hit on a pretty consistant basis.

Its becoming an issue as when i'm faced with distances of between 130-155 i struggle to make the shots on anywhere near a regular basis.

I downloaded your free guide and thats what really made me look at my distances for each club, as i worked my way from my 60degree upwards i noticed an ugly gap from around 130-155 where i just could not pick a club to get me there, i always saw 150 as the mark to work from so this seems to be a big issue with my game. i also filled in the mental handicap part and came in at around 16 which i wish i could play to.

i also plan on doing the short game exercise but need a quiet course to do this on as the range is not the place for this i feel.

Cheers again the help is really appriciated.  

user236642
Reply : Fri 7th May 2010 10:29

Cheers ray but i dont think its that, that only happens when i'm trying too hard i think, you know trying to give it a bit more because i know i struggle to hit those 3 clubs a decent distance, its extreamly rare for that to happen on any other club.

maybe something to access though if it continues to happen.

user236642
Reply : Fri 7th May 2010 11:15

Thanks Steve i will give that a go, away for the wife's 30th this weekend but hopefully will get out monday or tuesday, so i can let you know how it goes. off to spain next friday and will be getting a couple of rounds in so hope this works.

Cheers.

user236642
Reply : Fri 7th May 2010 14:03

Phil, i did think about that but really do not want to go down that route i feel its a bit of a kop out with my 3&4 but maybe i shouldn't, i just know certain people frown upon hybrids altogeteher!

user236642
Reply : Tue 11th May 2010 13:58

Steve,

Cheers for the advice went to the range today to give it a go and it helped a great deal, 6&7 seemed to vastly improve after hitting a few with legs together, then i adjusted back to my normal stance and it was much much better, 5 did improve but not to the extent of the other 2, will keep working on this but a huge improvement - Thankyou!

also the advice about ball position left on another post gave me something to think about. aswell as adjusting the stance to change the trajectory of the ball, gave this ago aswell with some interesting results had never realised what impact this had on the flight of the ball, so cheers to John P and others on this interesting snippit of info!

Happy Golfing!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top