Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Goals for 2010?

Posted by: user275144 | Tue 4th May 2010 14:49 | Last Reply

Hi Guys,

Has anybody set themselves goals for this year?

If so how are you going to achieve them?

Last edit : Tue 4th May 2010 14:49
re: Goals for 2010?
user24437
Reply : Tue 4th May 2010 16:41

Blimey Steve, bit slow off the mark aren't you?  Already got over 20 rounds in this year (and that probably seems low compared to some).  Having said that my goals have already changed this year.

Hit a sub 80 round for the first time* - best so far is 85 so just need that little extra (*on a proper course).

Get the handicap to a stage where I don't have shots on par 3's.

Finish the year with a better handicap than the Perryranger! 

user289859
Reply : Tue 4th May 2010 18:17

by the end of the year I want to see my CLUB handicap drop by 4 shots or more, and my golfshake one even more.

Apart from that, I want to see more consistency and the knowledge of walking up to a ball and instantly knowing what club to hit and how to hit it.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 4th May 2010 18:23

I set myself the target of 12 by the end of the year but seeing as I have had such a blinding start of the year, I am going to be greedy and want to get down to single figures....

Maybe thats for next year tho

user41897
Reply : Tue 4th May 2010 20:09

I'd like to just see a continued improvement and would be good to see handicap sub 20.  On a high at the moment and playing well and fairly often.  Even starting to practice shaping shots rather than trying to keep them straight.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 4th May 2010 21:47

My goals for this year were set out at the end of last year and are: -

• Playing handicap to 14 (effectively no shots on par 3's and I've just found out how weird that feels!)
  • Break 80 (must be on a course with a par of 70 or greater)
  • Play a round with a net par or better on every hole (set this for last year too and narrowly missed it a couple of times)
  • Improve my consistency - no blobs on 4 cards out of 5

And new for this year: -

• Finish the year with a better handicap than Hawkins.  You started it Tim (but I'm back in the lead!)

In answer to your question Steve, my targets for 2009 were: -

• Playing handicap to 18 - achieved (just, got to 17.9)
  • Break 85 - achieved (just, with an 84)
  • Play a round with a net par or better on every hole - Failed.  Missed by just one hole on a couple of rounds
I looked at my stats and found I was missing a lot of greens.  Whilst it meant my short game improved a lot, I felt that this was due to my iron play.  So I had a few lessons and found that there were a couple of minor tweaks that could be made to really improve my consistency.  I really feel I'm starting to see the benefit of these now.  The next stops for me will be my new Dr Bob book and plenty of putting practice.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 4th May 2010 23:35

Youre not nagging Steve, its what needs to be done to get those scores down. Cant expect to play better with no effort at all!

user24437
Reply : Wed 5th May 2010 00:43

Only a gentle rib Steve, because I enjoy the various challenges that the winter throws at me.  I've played rounds that started with frozen greens but have become really receptive as the sun warmed everything up, played in fog, rain, wind and bitter cold.  This is helping me understand courses and the way they play in different conditions, and mainly to concentrate on accuracy rather than distance and subsequently my handicap has dropped from 19.7 to 17.8 since October (and I've played some decent courses, many for the first time).

So my goal for this season is to put that into practice in the more predictable conditions.  My driving accuracy has always been pretty poor so I simply stopped using the big dog and hit 5 woods straight which has highlighted weaknesses in my mid-iron game which I can now address because I'm more confident with my swing.

My putting should be better but it's never a part of the game that has worried me - possibly misguidedly - becasue I have this ability to completely forget the last one especially if it's bad.

user77012
Reply : Wed 5th May 2010 07:57

I'm trying to forget your last one too !

For the 2010 season I'm trying to get off the point 1 ladder 

Last edit : Wed 5th May 2010 07:59
user26342
Reply : Thu 6th May 2010 11:10

My goals for 2010 were

• reduce my handicap to around the 11-12 mark.
  • Improve my short game so I make more up & downs.
  • Win a least 1 monthly medal

I said were because at the moment my game ranges from shooting a gross 79 one day to shooting a 97 the next. This is due to me fighting the shanks which I never know if there going to make an appearance or not.

So I made a decision to really work & practice hard this year by;

• having a lesson per month to iradicate any problems creeping back into my game.
  • I have purchased a golf net for the back garden (sorry kids the play house is going!) so I can pop out & hit a few balls to improve my swing plane.
  • I have purchased some training aids, alignment poles, weighted sleeve to go over my clubs to build muscle memory.
  • Downloaded Steve's assessment form to identify my weakness areas.
  • Reading the 30-second swing book (not finished with it yet Wayne!)
So I am hoping that the above will go hand in hand to a better season this year

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top