Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Lessons

Posted by: user250721 | Mon 3rd May 2010 22:07 | Last Reply

Hi Everyone.

I was just wondering how many of you had taken lessons when you first started playing and how many lessons you had before you decided you didnt need/want anymore??

re: Lessons
user90905
Reply : Tue 4th May 2010 12:12

I played for five years before having a lesson. After booking a few sessions I found it hard to adapt as all my bad habits had felt normal and the correct grip,stance etc took a lot of getting used to. I now have the occasional lesson as a check in case I revert to my "old way's" without noticing. If I were starting over it would be coaching first, course second.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 4th May 2010 13:42

When I first started, I had a course of six 30 minute lessons (the last being a two hole playing lesson) before I went near a course.  We started with grip and stance and chipping then gradually built the swing.  Then we moved onto longer irons, then woods, then finally bunkers and putting.  After each lesson I was told not to come back for at least two weeks and only if I had been for at least four sessions on the practice ground or range.  Given that this course had no range, I know this was done for my benefit and not for profit making purposes.  At the start of each lesson, he checked what we had done in the previous lesson before moving on. 

I will say that it is important you find a coach you feel comfortable with.  I have tried a couple of others and felt they were really not right for me.  I've now found another close to my new place of work who I feel comfortable with and I feel it is making a difference.

user289859
Reply : Tue 4th May 2010 16:53

i played first for about 6 months and then had lessons, and what a difference it has made. Wish I had done it earlier.

Worked on the swing first, and now moving on to chipping and putting

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 4th May 2010 17:51

I played for years doing 'My own thing' and now regretting the fact that I should have had one or two lessons right at the beginning, just so I could get the basics right.

Once I had the basics I could have worked on things from there, but me being me I carried on doing it the 'Wrong' way for years.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top