Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Thinking of starting to enter comps

Posted by: user259181 | Mon 3rd May 2010 18:16 | Last Reply

I've been at my club since Nov last year and as of yet I've not got a club handicap. I have the odd round with a member but it is always just a very relaxed round.

Now to get a H/C do I have to enter three cards only from club comps - or can it also be from general rounds with a member?

If it has to be from only in club official comps, what would be my H/C for the first three comps?

I'm starting to feel more confident in my abilites at my home course so that's why I'm now thinking of entering competiions.

cheers guys

re: Thinking of starting to enter comps
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 3rd May 2010 19:05

Lewis, at my club you have to enter three scorecards that have been signed by another member of the club.

Once you have entered the three scorecards the handicap secretary will give you a club handicap.

Just complete your scorecards correctly and they will be accepted.

Remember that during the initial handicap getting period you will only be given two shots over par for each hole.  So if you put a nine down for a par five hole you'll be adjusted to a seven.

Once you have your handicap you can then enter competitions at your club.

Good luck and get those cards in.

Russ

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 3rd May 2010 19:56

Lewis, all this member has to do is sign your card, he doesn't have to bother with his card. 

You don't have to play a competition round, it can be any kind or round for your handicap.

You keep the card and get him to sign and print it at the end of the round.

At my golf club they requested that you write 'For Handicap - Card 1', then card 2 and 3.

Also keep the three cards together and put them in at the same time, then keep and eye on your handicap list in the locker room.

Russ

user127691
Reply : Tue 4th May 2010 17:56

Russ is right to get an inactive handicap you need to put in 3 cards from any round as long as it is signed by a member,

You then need to get your handicap active and to do this you have to play in 3 comps. Once your handicapp is active it is then transferable for open comps etc.

user69191
Reply : Wed 5th May 2010 20:38

Get your handicap as soon as you can and play in as many club competitions as possible. This will ensure that you will improve, you'll be playing in a competition atmosphere, and more importantly, as you play you're initial first year, you will win and get cut, instead of a couple of years down the line when you don't win but you get cut as your hcap bottoms out.

Paul 

Last edit : Wed 5th May 2010 20:39

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top