Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Dreaded Shanks!!!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 30th Apr 2010 20:17 | Last Reply

I played a round of golf yesterday evening after I got home from work.

During the course of this round I hit three seven iron shots that were dreadful!

Tonight, again after work I took my seven iron and pitching wedge to the practice ground.

Well, what a nightmare!!!

I couldn't get the ball off the ground.......

It was going right of the target and slicing.......

Nothing I tried seemed to stop this.

I had only hit about eighteen balls when I decided the best course of action was to stop the practice session as I had no idea what I was doing wrong.

With my pitching wedge I went down to collect the few balls I had hit down the range, this was made more difficult due to the golf club having held a demo day and there being loads of range balls all over the place.

Now with my pitching wedge I was hitting the ball well, apart from the very odd shot.

Once I had collected my practice balls I started hitting some of the range balls with my seven iron.

It was then that I noticed the marks on the hosel of my club.

This explained all those poor shots, I was shanking the ball!

Now I've never done this before and it comes as a bit of a shock especially as I've been striking the ball so well lately.

Any ideas what I should do to correct this problem?

Russ

re: Dreaded Shanks!!!
user26342
Reply : Fri 30th Apr 2010 22:46

Russ, I have been suffering with these the last few weeks, went to see my pro & he spotted that my swingplane was very flat. Been working hard on correcting this & the result was my 2nd sub 80 round today including 3 birdies. Don't panic, go & see your pro to sort it out as I tried to fix it myself with no luck

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 1st May 2010 08:16

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Getting a lesson from my pro is like finding rocking horse poo!!!  Just can't seem to tie him down.  So bad in fact I might have to start looking elsewhere for my lessons.

I've read a few things online about standing too close to the ball, ect.

I am playing in a three men and a lady competition today so hopefully I'll get it sorted out before we tee off today.

Russ

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 1st May 2010 15:48

**** LATEST NEWS ****

Played in the competiton today and everything is back to normal.

Never hit a poor shot all day!

I'm so glad that the practice session of yesterday can be moved to the 'History' bin and quickly forgotten!!!

Steve, I'm in Romford, Essex

Russ

user16106
Reply : Sat 1st May 2010 22:30

If I get an episode of the SHKS then I start standing as far away from my ball until  it's just  starting to feel uncomfortable at address. I then hit a few holes without a SHK and its ussually ok from then. If I get them its ussually when using my sand wedge from the fairway. Could this have anything to do with bounce or lie of my sand wedge?

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 2nd May 2010 09:22

I think there could be many different factors for shanking the ball however the end fact is that the club is not at the correct position at impact! Seeing as shanking the ball is basically hitting the heel of the club I suppose standing a bit further away would make sense.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 2nd May 2010 12:09

Dealing with the odd S***K is a lot easier than dealing with it for every shot.

The usual INSTANT CURE is stand slightly further away, slow the swing and make sure you keep your head still.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top