Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Re-grooving wedges

Posted by: user41192 | Thu 29th Apr 2010 10:50 | Last Reply

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but has anybody attempted to re-groove their wedges with the tools available on certain websites?

I have two vokey's and don't seem to be getting the control that I experienced when new.

Was also wondering whether club shops would do this for me.

re: Re-grooving wedges
user41192
Reply : Thu 29th Apr 2010 11:02

What tool do you use for this David and can you point me in the right direction where to purchase this.

Is the effect very noticable?

Cheers.

user52922
Reply : Thu 29th Apr 2010 11:33

Having played a round with David M, recently and witnessing the amazing spin that he gets on his wedges I mentioned to him that I was very impressed, apart from the fact that it is no use having a a ball stop on landing if it has not been flighted all the way to the hole. Repeatedly coming up short defeats the object.

user41192
Reply : Fri 30th Apr 2010 12:20

One last question David, do you use the square or "U" part for your vokey's?

user41192
Reply : Fri 30th Apr 2010 13:09

I have ordered mine from Gamola golf and it says "V" and square grooves. Will this be a problem do you think? Looks exactly like the one David put up.

user24437
Reply : Fri 30th Apr 2010 14:39

To do the v grooves you use it at 45 degrees or so I'm led to believe.  V grooves can be identified because the square edged tool won't fit in them.

Just as a note, I bought one and cleaned the grooves on my irons and it has made very little difference - which would lead me to believe I haven't got standard grooves or I'm doing something wrong.  I still find it better (and quite therapeutic) to use my little vee scraper.  

user24437
Reply : Fri 30th Apr 2010 16:15

Craftsmanship mate.  Once trained as a machine fitter always a machine fitter

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 1st May 2010 22:28

I might have to look at getting one of these devices as giving my wedges a good looking at today I think my grooves could be worn.

Russ

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 2nd May 2010 09:27

My grooves on my 'very old' gap wedge could definitely do with re-sharpening however in all honesty I wont be bothering as I cant see that making too much difference.

I will be concentrating on distance and accuracy rather than trying to create spin.

user41192
Reply : Mon 3rd May 2010 00:40

Have done my 54/08 wedge today and it definately feels sharper. Will put it to the test on Tuesday.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top