Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Can't get my handicap down!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 28th Apr 2010 21:04 | Last Reply

Golf is very frustrating for me at the moment.

No matter what I do I just can't seem to get my handicap down.

And the most annoying thing is that I'm playing average golf but still managing to get a decent score, with most of them being one shot over my buffer zone, therefore meaning that my handicap goes up 0.1

My last three rounds have seen me shoot 83, 84 and 83 (Priors course - Stapleford Abbotts GC).

This means I was two shots over my buffer zone once and one shot over twice!!!

As I've said I'm playing average golf at the moment so hopefully within a week or two I'll start striking the ball better and I'll get some better results.

My next singles match in the Jubilee Cup is on Sunday the 9th May, away to Burnham-on-Crouch GC, let's hope my swing is better for that match as we play off scratch for the singles!!!

Russ

re: Can't get my handicap down!
user77012
Reply : Thu 29th Apr 2010 09:40

Russ when you go out  and play a general round set your hcp to 8 , you will be suprised how focused that makes you play

user52922
Reply : Thu 29th Apr 2010 11:40

Good advice, Dave, one tends to lean on ones strokes as a safety barrier which is not a sound idea when the object of the game is attempting to go round in the lowest number of strokes.

I played Curt the other afternoon over nine holes off level and even with an 8 on one hole I managed a 41 for that nine.

user16106
Reply : Thu 29th Apr 2010 12:27

Is the idea to go round in the least possible shots or least probable? I usually lay up on a short par 4. Whereas others around me may go for the green with a career shot.

Dave CAC handed Geordie

user52922
Reply : Thu 29th Apr 2010 12:50

I should think with your handicap David, that you don't do too much laying up on short par fours.

No matter what strategy you apply the object is still to score the lowest possible.

I can assure you that when I lay up, which is most of the time, I am still thinking of making a par.

user16106
Reply : Thu 29th Apr 2010 13:00

John

The reason my handicap is as it is (although still strive to get it lower ) is BECAUSE I lay up on short par 4's. Lay up with my 1st shot not 2nd if that was misleading.

I can't hit more than about 220 yds so I would rather have a full sand wedge (90yd) with my approach rather than a 40yd dolly. I always lay up to leave my desired next shot not just to get as close to the green as poss, as I think you would agree?

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user52922
Reply : Thu 29th Apr 2010 14:47

Course management is about playing to one's strengths. I myself, much prefer to have a shot of between fifty and 120 yards as I have the confidence that I can get on the green pretty close most of the time.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top