Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Away Day Golf

Posted by: user9137 | Wed 28th Apr 2010 19:36 | Last Reply

My son lives at Tower Bridge, London and I live at Ware, Hertfordshire. We decided to meet up today for a round of golf at a course in Essex. After much discussion we opted for Russell Middletons home course - Stapleford Abbotts, playing the Abbott course. What a pleasant surprise we had, its a lovely well kept tight course with plenty of water in play. I shot 92 (2 over my handicap of 18), mainly due to the fact that I decided that I couldnt putt today, taking 40 putts for the round. My son on the other hand shot 83 (3 under his handicap of 14), and that included 3 penalty shots where he put his ball into ponds that he couldnt see when playing his shots. All in all a really good day out - lovely course, pleasant friendly staff, and even the natives were nice and friendly! Has anyone else here had a really good away day at golf?

Ian

Last edit : Wed 28th Apr 2010 20:15
re: Away Day Golf
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 28th Apr 2010 20:58

Glad you liked the course and I'll be sure to tell the staff how much you enjoyed your day.

Russ

user9137
Reply : Sat 1st May 2010 10:21

Hi Matt - Im really envious, Ive always wanted to play at Villamoura, but I had to make do with Essex instead. Enjoy yourself there later this month. Where do you usually play - I play at Whitehills.

Ian

user289859
Reply : Sat 1st May 2010 11:25

Have played a couple of different courses recently and enjoyed the majority.

Royal Cromer was a really nice course with some nice holes.

The Hertfordshire in Broxbourne was really good. Really well maintained fairways and greens and very helpful members of staff.

Barnham Broom was a nice place to play as well, although the staff were a little blunt.

Really enjoying the golf anywhere I play at the moment though!!

user41192
Reply : Mon 3rd May 2010 01:03

Matthew, I played the Hertfordshire last month on our society day and to be honest found it a very boring golf course. The only highlight was picking up £23 for closest to pin. Back nine is a little more entertaining. I hear the course down the road from there (Brickendon) is a must play, ever played it?

user52922
Reply : Mon 3rd May 2010 08:37

Brickendon Grange is a very nice and well kept course.Well worth playing in my opinion. I had a friend who was a member so used to play there quite regularly when I lived in Cheshunt for a while.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top