Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How close do you hit your wedges?

Posted by: user275144 | Sat 24th Apr 2010 19:38 | Last Reply

Just shot -7 round my local course. I wanted to work on my wedge play so played off the yellows. I had 9 shots from 70 - 120 yards and made 4 up and downs, the longest putt holed was 6ft. The other 5 shots were all inside 10ft.

I work on my wedge swings every year but the distances rarely change, today was no exception. It would be interesting to see how many of you have total control of your wedge distances.

re: How close do you hit your wedges?
user52922
Reply : Sat 24th Apr 2010 19:44

I am pretty consistent with my pitching wedge at a distance of 100 yards.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 24th Apr 2010 20:36

My wedges are as follows....

Pitching wedge, 3/4 swing goes 100 yards

Gap wedge (53 degree), full swing goes 85 yards

Lob wedge (60 degree), full swing goes 65 yards

Russ

Last edit : Sat 24th Apr 2010 20:43
user16106
Reply : Sat 24th Apr 2010 21:20

Steve

It may be different for you as a pro, but when I hit anything between say 50 & 115 yds Im playing to hit middle of green as that is the only distance I have to go for. Unless it is obvious that the flag is at the front or the back then I would adjust accordingly.

But on the whole Im just trying to get down in 2 more putts. Any less is a bonus.

Do you know where pins are before you play?

Dave CAC handed Geordie

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 24th Apr 2010 21:25

I'm more of a "feel" golfer, especially with the wedges.  I could take 7/8 a gap wedge or a 5/8 pitching wedge from 80 yards out, depending on what feels right for the situation at the time. 

My issue is I struggle to get the ball to stop as I don't generate much backspin.  I got caught out by this playing a new course on Friday with very hard greens - kept running through.  I'm planning to get new wedges soon and will probably go for a fitting session first (but that's a whole new thread!)

user115085
Reply : Sun 25th Apr 2010 18:51

100% control Steve? Surely you have some margin of error? Out of interest given a 30, 60 and 90 yard approach how close in feet or yards would you normally expect to be from your target distance?

Short pitches are a major weakness in my game - in fact I am more comfortable landing the ball in possible one putt ange from 125-165 yards.

@Dave - does your club not colour code the flags? we have red for front portion, yellow for middle and white for back. It's very handy when you have a GPS which shows front middle and back distances.

Last edit : Sun 25th Apr 2010 20:52
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 25th Apr 2010 20:37

Steve, good article and something I will try and work on over the coming months.

Russ

user16106
Reply : Sun 25th Apr 2010 21:16

Chris

I am not a member of a club but a club I play alot has a sytem. All pin positions are either A, B or C. IE "pins today are pos B". On the card is a diagram of all greens and each is split into thirds A, B & C. This would be a very useful and no cost addition for any club to adopt. But as for your scheme Chris iv,e yet to see.

Dave CAC handed Geordie

user78137
Reply : Sun 25th Apr 2010 21:36

Over the last two years i have struggled alittle with wedges.

however Bought a vokey sand wedge, had a couple of lessons.

Went out with 12 lads two weeks on the trot & amazed them with my ne found short game.  Took their wedges if you catch my drift.

Sand wedge full around 90 yds

pitching wedge 110

reckon i could do with another for 100yds cos even when i choke down on pitching wedge still struggle a little.  tried to put more into sand wedge but loose my deadly accuracy!

until i purchased a "proper wedge" i didnt realise how much better they were.  This thing stps on a sixpence & when i do attack it spins back normally around a foot.  Amazing for me.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top