Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Just Landed my First eagle!!

Posted by: user95306 | Fri 16th Apr 2010 20:44 | Last Reply

not sure if this is the right place or not, went out for 9 holes after work with a collegue proir to the season opener of the society i am a member of expecting nothing other than to fine tune a few things, anyway 4th hole 245 yard par 4, striking the ball well and i took on the green which i tend not to do on the hole as it usually ends up biting me on the backside!! anyway tee shot ended up 30 yards left of the green with the pin about 8 or 9 yards in, pulled out my sand wedge, picked a spot and the rest is history!! best buzz i have ever had on the golf course on 15 years!! 

any of my fellow golf shakers out here remember there first time!!!

re: Just Landed my First eagle!!
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 16th Apr 2010 21:06

Well done Stewart. 

I still remember my first time about 5 years ago and the 2nd time about 3 months ago like it was yesterday    great feeling.

Would love to get one on a par 5 with a putt and reaching the green in 2 but hey let's not get silly and be grateful for what we have

user95306
Reply : Fri 16th Apr 2010 21:48

still waiting on my ace, i must admit i was pretty subdued in my celebration although the look on my playing partners face was a picture, trying to be pleased for me but burning up inside!!! not sure if id be more happy with hitting the green in one and putting for my eagle or the way i did it last night!

always sunday!!!

user52922
Reply : Fri 16th Apr 2010 22:02

A hole under 250 yards is a par three, I'm afraid.

user41897
Reply : Fri 16th Apr 2010 22:27

Don't burst his bubble JP.

I remember my first (and only). Twas at Belfairs playing with my dad. 2nd shot was a long iron over a brow with only the top of the flagstick visible. Complete fluke but it felt good nevertheless.

I think the hole was 251 yds

Last edit : Fri 16th Apr 2010 22:28
user16106
Reply : Fri 16th Apr 2010 23:33

My 1st ever eagle putt was on a 484yd par 5. Hot sunny day lots of roll. Got on the green in 2. 10yd putt. dropped in. Fantastic. The very next day had my 2nd eagle putt on a 460yd par 5. 3 putted. Never had an eagle putt in last 3 years. Never been on a par 4 green in 1.

Anyone had an albertross?

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user40826
Reply : Sat 17th Apr 2010 16:28

Still never had one, came close a few times with a few putts lipping out on Par 5's.  Finished an inch from the hole a few times on Par 3's, even hit the flag once.  

It will happen sooner or later, I hope! 

user199919
Reply : Sat 17th Apr 2010 23:35

Mine was 3 weeks ago, Deangate Ridge, Hole 9, Par 5, 492 yards.

I usually have a bad habit of fading left into the ditch on this hole but lined up in my normal position and hit an absolute peach down the middle about 240-250 with roll.

Walked up and took my hybrid 3 rescue club out and hit a slight fade right to left (im a leftie) and to be honest lost sight of my ball in the sun.

Walked towards the green and noticed a ball dead centre of the green about 14-15 yards right of the pin. I remember standing over it and being really chuffed that id be marking a guaranteed birdie on the card on a 2 shot hole for me.

And as they say, picked the right line and the rest is history. Good times!

user77012
Reply : Sun 18th Apr 2010 09:51

You know what they say about buses you wait an age then two turn up! back in 2003 I was having 9 holes before Jetting off to South Carolina on a golf trip. My friend and I decided to play the back 9 at his club now mine, the 14th is a par 4 slight dog leg right at 262yrds (phew just qualifies) . I drove the green to about  3 feet  below the pin with knees knocking has they had done on all my other eagle putts,but I managed to sink it. I can still remember the feeling more so than when I finally got an ace (strange but true). The next hole 15th par 4 343 yrds  the fairway rises over a brow and gently runs down to the green. I had hit a very good drive and with the run wasn't too far from the green. I decided on an 8 iron chip and run and unbelievably went in! from not having 1 to 2 in a row I thought i have this game cracked. The next is the16th par 3 106 yrds over a pond with a  Mckenzie green (2 tier) I had selected my gap wedge and duely thinned it straight in to the pond , what a downer after the two previous holes and a reality check! I was a 17 hcp'r at the time.

Last edit : Sun 18th Apr 2010 11:05
user23840
Reply : Sun 18th Apr 2010 16:30

Had two eagle putts on Friday. 478, and 479 yard par 5's. On both in two, but didn't sink the putts, sadly only made one birdie.

user288350
Reply : Sun 18th Apr 2010 22:04

1st eagle was my 1st hole in one. 7 iron straight in the hole with no bounce.Had me my 1st albatross last year,256 yard 3 wood into the hole for a 2! Sadly it was in a bogey medal so it only got me 1 up on the course.

user50657
Reply : Sun 18th Apr 2010 23:10

Only had 1 eagle, that was last year at Whitburn. Hole 3, 331 yds downhill par 4 SI16. Hit my drive over the bunkers into the middle of the fairway, left me with about 50yds to the pin. As it was downhill all the way I took out my 7 iron and bumped it down and into the hole for eagle.

I would feel much better and more honest if I could get an eagle on a par 5 as I think my bump and run was as much to do with luck as anything else. I've reached so many par 5s in 2, but my putting has always let me down.

One day it will happen though.

user24437
Reply : Sun 18th Apr 2010 23:54

Never had one, have occasionally come close more by luck than judgement apart from 6" away from a hole in one.  Stuck one to within 18" from 150yds out on the 8th at the N v S but that's the one of closest I can remember..

user115085
Reply : Mon 19th Apr 2010 13:11

Had my first competitive eagle in the NvS Sunday stableford (for 5 points!). Par 5 14th hole at the Abbey. Downhill so plays shorter than the stated length, hit a good drive down the middle, solid utility club which looked on target, got to the green to find it on the fringe between the pin and greenside bunker and I actually holed the putt. Set me up for a second place finish on countback!

user26342
Reply : Mon 19th Apr 2010 14:06

Only had 1, 17th at Brandhall. Hit a blind 2nd shot & when I walked up couldn't see my ball, thought someone had picked my ball up (muni's & all that ), walked up to the green to get the flag for my playing partners & couldn't believe my eyes when I swa my ball in there!!! My partner kept saying somebody had put it in there

Went from being gutted to over the moon. Not come close since that day!

user26342
Reply : Mon 19th Apr 2010 14:06

Only had 1, 17th at Brandhall. Hit a blind 2nd shot & when I walked up couldn't see my ball, thought someone had picked my ball up (muni's & all that ), walked up to the green to get the flag for my playing partners & couldn't believe my eyes when I swa my ball in there!!! My partner kept saying somebody had put it in there

Went from being gutted to over the moon. Not come close since that day!

user95306
Reply : Thu 12th Aug 2010 20:56

John and Greg the scored card says its a par 4 no matter how long it is, therefore its an eagle!!!

na na na na!!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 12th Aug 2010 21:14

I can remember both of mine.  Interestingly both in winter, kind of temp greens and reduced par 4s from 350 mark to I guess more like 310 ish.

user23840
Reply : Sat 14th Aug 2010 09:10

Got my self some new irons (wilson ci9's). My first round with them yesterday produced an eagle on the par 4 10th at pedham. 4 iron, then 9iron into the hole.

Can I get a whoop whoop?

Last edit : Sat 14th Aug 2010 09:11
user95306
Reply : Sat 14th Aug 2010 09:50

Danny

according to some you need to prove that it was in facta par 4 and not a long par 3 regardless of what it says on the card!!! come on spill the yardage!!!

well done though mate

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 14th Aug 2010 14:03

382 hey Danny, what was the drive 340 ?

user317957
Reply : Sat 14th Aug 2010 15:21

Still dreaming about my first Eagle.  Par 4 15th at Stevenage Golf Course.  Hit a sweet drive, then took a gentle 9 Iron from about 90 yds, which landed on the front of the green and rolled up the slope straight in ... magic.  To celebrate I tossed the club in the air, raised my arms and turned to receive the applause, but the only person who saw it was mother brother, who was playing the same hole.  Next time I played the same hole, I shot an 8, so the bragging rights were short lived.

user23840
Reply : Sat 14th Aug 2010 19:02

I couldn't have been playing 382 yesterday Darren. It was a 4 iron, then 9 iron. Had wind behind, and the fairways were running. I didn't really take too much notice of yardage. It's one of those courses you have to play upto the holes, rather than target golf.

They are building a smart new clubhouse now. May have to take the plunge there.

user38216
Reply : Sun 15th Aug 2010 11:24

Ive had plenty but can remember the last one as it was so long ago.. 350 yard par 4 (yes a real par 4), there was ice on the ground and my tee shot scuttled up to the flag leaving me a tap in. Now that would have been a hole in one to celebrate!

user52922
Reply : Sun 15th Aug 2010 11:34

Eagles to me are birds of prey, as it is such a long time since I last had one, but I am still regularly holing out shots from under 100 yards, usually for a six or a seven though.

user52922
Reply : Sun 15th Aug 2010 12:39

My clubs two course have a total of six par fives, three of which I have hit in three, but not regularly, the other three I always need four shots to get to the green.

The two par fives on the Waterloo can be hit in two shots by the longer hitters, but I have yet to see anyone hit the greens on the four par fives on the Wellington in 2 shots, as they are all 565 yards long.

user106712
Reply : Mon 16th Aug 2010 22:33

I've had 2 eagles, one on a par 5 at wakefield. chipped in from 120 yards with a 9 iron. Trouble was I thought the ball had stopped at the edge of the hole so I turned to put my club away and my mate said "it's gone in".. so I missed seeing it drop in.

second was last year at Oulton Hall, hit a decent drive into the wind leaving 180 yards. hit my best 5 iron ever, straight at the pin. took one bounce and dissapeared.

other than that I've had a few chances mostly at Temple Newsome. second hole 280 yards downhill. I've hit the green 4 or 5 times but never holed my eagle put.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top