Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf the Santorini way

Posted by: user131525 | Wed 14th Apr 2010 22:11 | Last Reply

Contrary to what you may be expecting, this is not a post taking the p*ss.

Myself and a mate played the Nicklaus Course at Carden Park today and were accompanied around the course by Wayne.  I'd asked him to join us as I'd heard a number of positive comments about his coaching style.

I have to say we had a thoroughly enjoyable day.  Wayne was inciteful and provided relevant feedback at appropriate times without overloading us with too much information. He spotted a number of small things that were instantly correctable and even had me driving straight off the tee (even got the occasional draw) which anyone who has played golf with me over the last couple of years knows is no mean achievement!

My partner also benefitted from Wayne's expertise and is feeling confident about attempting the Cheshire course in the morning.  Wayne's style was pretty laid back but he got his points across in a clear, confident manner which helped instill confidence in what he was trying to get us to do.

If anyone wants to improve an area of their game and is anywhere near the North West, they could do much worse than spend an hour or two under Wayne's guidance.  I would thoroughly recommend it.

re: Golf the Santorini way
user40826
Reply : Thu 15th Apr 2010 07:06

Well played Wayne, getting quite a good rep on these boards.  Also two great courses at Carden Park.

Playing there in a few weeks, what's the course like at the moment? 

user131525
Reply : Thu 15th Apr 2010 07:22

I have to say Chris, absolutely excellent.  We played the Nicklaus yesterday and were really impressed.  Everywhere was dry - the greens, although obviously some work had been done on them, were fast but held a chip so you got full reward for good shots. The only (very) slight criticism was that two of the groundstaff were mowing from 1 to 18 so we had to wait for them on a number of holes.

I'll let you know about the Cheshire after we've played it later.

user11501
Reply : Thu 15th Apr 2010 07:53

If he does Ged I want to play against him. After last years match I need a challenge !!!!!

user40826
Reply : Thu 15th Apr 2010 19:32

James,

That's great news - looking forward to it even more now.  I love going to that course with all the facilities they have. 

user131525
Reply : Thu 15th Apr 2010 20:10

We played the Cheshire today Chris and, the back 9 in particular, absolutely stunning!

Our overall assessment of the 2 days was that the Nicklaus was the most challenging and best to play, but is very much on the flat with lots of wispy rough, almost in a links kind of way on some holes.  The Cheshire is much more parkland.  The first nine are pretty decent, but not as good as the Nicklaus but the back nine must have some of the most picturesque holes I've played for along time.  Many are in amongst the Pine trees (or I was anyway) and it was easy to let your mind wander to dreaming you're in Augusta!  Stand out holes: The 11th, par 5 (only because I got a 4 on it!), the 12th with water everywhere, the 15th - lovely par 3 and the 18th must be one of the best finishing holes around with a big drive from the hillside down towards the club house with bunkers left and right and water if you're too long.

You'll have a great time Chris, we left talking about when we would be able to return to play the 2 courses again!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top