Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

No Golf Shoes

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 1st Apr 2010 22:42 | Last Reply

I was watching the Shell Houston Open tonight and Fred Couples was playing a shot.

The presenters then explained that he didn't wear golf shoes, just normal training shoes.

Now at my golf club if you haven't got golf shoes then you don't get on the course!

I suppose this could be the same thing as wearing a glove, most people wear them but some people don't.

Russ

re: No Golf Shoes
user26342
Reply : Thu 1st Apr 2010 23:32

Russ,

he also wasn't wearing any socks! There's quite a few americans that don't wear traditional golf shoes & a lot of players these days play with there shirts untucked.

user38216
Reply : Fri 2nd Apr 2010 13:44

They aren't the shoes he is wearing.  He is wearing an astro turf type trainer with rubber moulded studs, lots of them. A bit like early astro trainers of the last decade.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 2nd Apr 2010 14:24

The soles look like the 'Deck Shoes' you used to get for boats.

In the 70's Footjoy brought out a Golf Shoe that had a similar sole (can't remember their name) and when Addidas started making Golf Shoes that looked like their Trainers, a lot of golf clubs stood up and stared.

TheLyth

user99350
Reply : Fri 2nd Apr 2010 15:54

I just boght a pair of footjoy shoes and the moulds on the inside of the arches crippled me but to get back to the point in hand: I don't know why it's compulsory to wear 'proper' golf shoes. I would have thought that keeping the condition of the green was paramount but that cannot be the case otherwise spikes would have been banned a long time ago so I can only assume that it's snobbery yet again.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 2nd Apr 2010 16:19

If the shoe is made to play Golf in, then it's OK by me. The problem is where does a Club draw the line? Horsforth said "recognised golf shoes either with spikes or dimpled soles are required on the course". Years ago at Roundhay, we had to be on the lookout for WAGS wearing high heels and kids in football boots.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top