Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Preparing for a Game!!!!

Posted by: user10367 | Thu 1st Apr 2010 04:38 | Last Reply

Simple enough comment I know but what do you do to prepare for a round of golf and when do you start.

Do you start the day before? on the day at home? or once your at the course?

And more importantly do YOU feel that you have prepared enough??? and do you look at your score after the round and see where you could have prepared better? or do you not think about this side of the game???

Last edit : Thu 1st Apr 2010 04:40
re: Preparing for a Game!!!!
user24437
Reply : Thu 1st Apr 2010 08:03

Fags and coffee for me Wayne.

user40826
Reply : Thu 1st Apr 2010 08:27

Grab my gear and go, if I have a comp, I'll clean up everything till it shines and organise my bag.  

At the course always go through my set on the range hitting about 3/4 balls for each club making sure I am creating small targets to aim for.  Off to the putting green for putting and chipping.  Usually chip 5 balls and try to putt out those balls.  Try to beat that score each time - helps me get into the right frame of mind for the round.

Or if I'm late, straight to the first tee and go - this very rarely happens though.

I always play so much better when I have warmed up/practiced properly first. 

user77012
Reply : Thu 1st Apr 2010 08:34

I get up around 5:30 and go into my back garden and do an hour of Tachi, I then have an hours meditation listening to a pod of whale's moaning about something or other. Then I hit the sauna/cold shower/sauna/ cold shower and  my swedish au pair gives me an all over essential oil masage (which is nice).I make my way to the course and hit about 30 brand new Pro v's up the range ,wedge then 7 iron. I now take a stroll over to putting green and just practice my pace side to side and a couple of long ones. Lastly I put on my Ipod and listen to some NLP fall asleep an miss my tee time!!!

Or if it's a really important game i just have a line glass of coke!! 

Last edit : Thu 29th Apr 2010 09:38
user40826
Reply : Thu 1st Apr 2010 09:28

Dave, so I'm not the only one who practices the art of Tachi?

The hypnotic whale music is a must before a round, relaxes the soul.

user26342
Reply : Thu 1st Apr 2010 09:39

I prepare by not preparing!!

I find that if I do I put too much focus on what I should try & achieve rather than going out & enjoying the game.

I think it's the same as if you count your score as you go you focus too much on that rather than counting up at the end.

Dave the 'swidish' au pair sounds a bit ropey

user52922
Reply : Thu 1st Apr 2010 10:53

Simple enough comment indeed, Wayne but what is the answer to a nice start to a round of golf.

I have noticed as I have got older that it now takes me six holes before I usually get a point on the card, so this tells me that I should really warm up before starting by exercising and hitting a few balls, but being the lazy person I have always been when it comes to practising means that I take some time to swing the club the way I would like.

user69191
Reply : Thu 1st Apr 2010 13:03

If its a competition which is every Saturday/Sunday then I'll empty my bag (golf bag) the night before and separate all the crap I don't need, then clean my clubs and shoes and select 5 balls. In the morning I'll have a cup of tea and make my way to the course listening to some upbeat/positive music on the stereo, Muse's Butterflies And Hurricanes or The Charlatans Forever were faves from last year although I've downloaded Londons Blood Diamond soundtrack for this Sunday (from the 'Ben Hogan's mystique' YouTube clip). I'll get to the course 10 mins or so before tee off, I'll loosen up a bit by swinging the club around my body for a few minutes and then tee off on the first. I'll carry a litre of water in my bag and maybe a bag of peanuts.

I find that by hitting balls on the range beforehand doesn't work for me.

Paul

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 4th Apr 2010 11:38

• Pull into the car park 10 minutes before tee off
  • Get the gear out and wander up to the first tee
  • Do up the laces and tuck in the shirt
  • Do a few half arsed shretches
  • A few swipes with a six iron
  • A few swipes with drive/3 wood (depending on what I'm taking off the first tee)
  • Off you go
Like Floody, too much thinking and I'm not relaxed and I play better when I'm relaxed

user77012
Reply : Sun 4th Apr 2010 12:13

Welcome to the site newbie where do you play?

Reply : Sun 4th Apr 2010 12:37

Hi there, nice to meet you!

Not sure where I'll be playing this year.  House is on the market so I need to find a new club for when I move

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 4th Apr 2010 20:51

My idea of a perfect warm-up before a round of golf would be....

Night before

Mark all my golf balls

Clean clubs (heads and grips)

Get clean towels

Put bottles of drink in bag.

Clean shoes

Get clothes ready for game

Morning of the game (at home)

Get up in plenty of time

Have a breakfast, not too big but not too small!

Leave in plenty of time to get to the course

At the course

Go to pro shop to let them know I'm there and find out if there are any changes to the competition

Onto practice ground, hit some drives and long irons, not too many about a dozen each

Then about twenty balls with a seven iron and a nine iron

Hit some pitch shots, between twenty and forty yards, then pitch/chip all the balls to one point for collection.

Onto the practice putting green, hit three types of chips, short, medium and long ones.

Then putting, about ten minutes hitting different length putts.

Before game

Toilet!!!!  Don't want to get caught out on the course

Get a drink

Make certain I've got everything in the bag, drinks, food, etc

Then down to the tee fifteen minutes before I'm due to start.

That's all there is too it!!!  But how many times have I turned up, gone straight to the first tee and two or three practice swings later started my round of golf?

Russ

Last edit : Sun 4th Apr 2010 20:54
user24437
Reply : Mon 5th Apr 2010 00:51

Hahaha, when have you ever turned up 10 mins before tee off Perry?  Unless the car park is 15 minutes away of course...

Reply : Mon 5th Apr 2010 12:40

I do turn up 10 minutes before tee off.  It might take me 7 minutes to get the gear out, 2 minutes to get to the pro shop to book in and another 2 to get to the first tee, but I do turn up 10 minutes before my tee time......

user77012
Reply : Mon 5th Apr 2010 13:05

..........and you wonder why you always start with a double Chris 

Reply : Mon 5th Apr 2010 13:09

I'd be happy to start with a double.....

user77012
Reply : Mon 5th Apr 2010 13:10

user21179
Reply : Mon 5th Apr 2010 19:01

Sunday i will start with a well planned leisurely 3 hour drive to get to the abbey hotel. talking about how well i am swinging and how low i am going to score. expectations will be high for the forthcoming 2 days, the sun will be out music will be playing and all will be well with the world. I will get to the course an hour before tee time and go through a well rehearsed set of drills that set me up for a great round !!!!!!!

In reality i will get up (late) with a hangover from sat night. leave without breakfast, get caught in terrible traffic, arrive 10 mins before tee time, find i have not actually been registered or booked into hotel and then tee off in the rain !!!!!!

Unfortunately the reality may well be nearer the second than the first scenario LOL.

user202373
Reply : Mon 26th Apr 2010 21:16

its ok stuart if ya go right from work ya should be warmed up anyway with working all day i find i play much better goin after work ),

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top