Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Second-hand clubs for a beginner - advice needed!

Posted by: user47564 | Wed 31st Mar 2010 14:57 | Last Reply

I am currently a 23-handicapper, determined to make this the year that I finally concentrate on becoming a better golfer and try to get back to the 18 handicapper Im was when I was 16.

My current set, which I bought 3 years ago, is a Maxfli set that I paid about £120 brand new for. Now I am playing regularly, I would like to upgrade to a higher quality set. However, I really can't justify to the wife paying £300 etc for a set at the moment.

Basically, I have found a few sets on Ebay that are less than £50, but that I think will still help my game. On of the sets are Mizuno T-Zoid EZ irons, and the other few sets are Wilson Deep Red Fat Shafts (I think Deep Red I, not II).

Firstly, can anyone recommend these clubs to an 23 handicapper with far too many poor mid-iron shots in his game?

Secondly - will either of them make that much difference to my Maxfli clubs?

Thanks

re: Second-hand clubs for a beginner - advice needed!
user50657
Reply : Wed 31st Mar 2010 15:24

I've got some deep red power weight irons and they helped me get down from 26 to 17 handicap last year, but I think the real key to my progress last year was the lessons I had to cure my slice and get my gripswing sorted. Played a few rounds earlier this year with my old ram irons and didn't really notice much difference between them and my wilsons.

Irons will help (more psycholigically than anything else) but not as much as lessons will.

user24437
Reply : Wed 31st Mar 2010 15:54

James.  You could do worse than taking a look at Golfbidder (ad on this page).  Decent service so I've heard and 'older' top quality clubs pretty cheap

user52922
Reply : Thu 1st Apr 2010 12:57

A good player will be able to hit good shots with any club, so that should tell you that it is not the equipment, James.

New and shiny breeds confidence but, that is all, only ability will make the game enjoyable.

user52922
Reply : Thu 1st Apr 2010 14:55

You may agree, but I don't, why do you feel that beginners should not play with blades. It is only since the invention of game improvement clubs that players now have a  choice, one which does the player no good at all.

Why on earth play with something that is going to forgive your poor swing.

Far better to play with a club that will soon give you feedback if not struck correctly. Blades do this.

Padraig is only embarrassed because the hybrids are very forgiving when compared to the long irons, but do not perform in the same way, so he is sacrificing the better degree of accuracy which can be obtained with the long iron for an easy opt out.

Last edit : Thu 1st Apr 2010 15:46
user52922
Reply : Thu 1st Apr 2010 17:58

Those Marumans have a lot to answer for.

user77012
Reply : Thu 1st Apr 2010 18:40

and mine That's three of us on here we had better start up a group section

Pray for sunshine for tomorrow Daz , had 9 earlier blowing a gale here!

Last edit : Thu 1st Apr 2010 18:43

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top