Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Momentum, and other things that ruin your round.

Posted by: user276830 | Tue 30th Mar 2010 18:22 | Last Reply

I nipped out to my local 9 hole course early last Sunday for a quick 18 before the societies turned up. To my surprise, the course was chock-a-block. A society outting was in full flow.

i was on my own (my usual sunday morning playing parter was, ehem... a little hungover) so I was debating whether or not to even go on.

There was a four ball on the first tee but I decided to go ahead.

It meant there was a 10/15 min wait on each tee. They were the slowest fourball I've ever seen. I'm a patient guy so i just got on with it.

The fourball cleared off after 9 holes and, because they were so slow, I had the whole course ahead of me pretty much free.

My scoring instantly improved. check the card

I've now seen that I'm a pretty fast player. I like to get up on the tee and hit it without too much ceremony. Same for the fairway shots. I just spend a second or two sizing it up and I get on with it.

Does a long wiat at each tee box affect your game? If so, any advice on how to deal with it? What other factors can affect your scoring?

re: Momentum, and other things that ruin your round.
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Mar 2010 18:35

Waiting to play each shot cannot be good for anybodies game.

I try to get away from golf when I'm waiting, just chat about anything other than golf.  Then switch back on when it's time to play.

Being to eager to play your shot could mean you don't play the best shot.  But at the same time taking too long to play your shot won't be too good for your game.

I have been told that I'm a quick player, but to be honest I don't hang around to play my shot, but I've done all the pre-shot work by the time I've addressed the ball.

Russ

user99350
Reply : Tue 30th Mar 2010 19:37

Agreed Wayne, there is a subtext to your point ie no one should project until they get to the ball, however hanging about cannot be preferable to not hanging about (not to mention the internal stress caused by the ignorant slow fourball ahead of you that should have let you through God knows how many holes ago).

user40826
Reply : Wed 31st Mar 2010 08:00

Must admit I need rhythm in my game, and play better when I don't have to wait an extraordinary amount of time.

I do manage to keep my head whilst others loose their rag.  Just chat about anything other than golf, it helps so much.  I even try to do this between shots as well, focus on anything but the next shot.

user69191
Reply : Wed 31st Mar 2010 11:47

Ray, you dropped 9 shots in the first 8 holes of the round. Parred  the 9th, probably because they'd cleared the green by the time you took your tee shot. So, with an open golf course in front of you until the 15th you were able to play at your own speed and at your own rhythm and dropped 1 shot in 6 holes until you caught up with another 4 ball. Finally dropping another 5 shots in 4 holes. Par 66 course and you shot an 81 gross, 15 over par, which is a net 64, 2 shots under your hcap. Fair enough the course looks short but not a bad round to be honest. You must be rueing what could have been especially with no 3 putts.

Paul

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top