Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

make do and mend or start again

Posted by: user16742 | Mon 29th Mar 2010 20:48 | Last Reply

Been playing golf for 4 or 5 years started off with lessons and then drifted off and have one now and then when things go wrong. After buying the wrong irons 2 years ago mp52's with rifle 6.0 shafts i loved the heads on these but the shafts were totally wrong. though i did get down to 23 handicap with them. I have since been custom fit for some g10s with just a stiff shaft. The problem is im not moving from this handicap, some days i can shoot in the 80's others in the 100's. Sometimes its just a few holes that knack my round up. I used to slice the ball but have now gone the other way with either a hook or a low pull. Been keeping it together over winter But after the weekend where i was topping fatting pushing pulling i now have a few nice sky marks on my driver as well. Most people who have seen me play say i have a simple swing (which is what i want) and i have in the past been able to shape the ball at will even playing with a nice draw. From my last lesson i know i have a crap grip and my posture is shocking im like an old man and my left arm breaks in the backswing. My aim is to play off single figures sometime in the future, and i know im goint to get worse before i get better, what im worried about is losing the simplicity of my swing. what im asking is should i have lessons and work with what i have got, or put full faith in my instructor and start from scratch and build a new swing that will work

re: make do and mend or start again
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 29th Mar 2010 22:00

Matt, book a lesson with a pro you trust and explain to him exactly what you have said in your post.

See what he says about your swing and then decide which way to go.

You say you have a simple swing, so I cannot see why he would want to change that!

It appears that all you need to do is get the correct grip and sort out your posture, both these things should not affect your swing.

For the first couple of times you play with a correct grip and posture things will feel odd and you will probably have a few bad shots, but work at it and when it comes natural to you things will be much better.

Russ

user77012
Reply : Mon 29th Mar 2010 22:04

Matt I would take the plunge and get some help it appears you maybe be confusing yourself ,you need some direction. Playing with you 2yrs ago you were defo hot and cold and doesn't appear you've improved as much as you should be.Good luck

user77012
Reply : Mon 29th Mar 2010 23:00

From memory it wasn't all that bad and consistancy was the main flaw, but as I said at the time you were never going to get the best out of the equipment you had. Now you have been fitted (correctly I hope) it's just your swing maybe, You could do a lot worse than having a trip over to see Wayne I have heard good feedback on his teaching and mental side of the game.

user52922
Reply : Sat 3rd Apr 2010 20:48

Hi Matt, I cannot believe your teaching pro is letting you get away with a swing like that. I could not see your hands at the top of the swing because of the angle of the camera but I did manage to freeze the clubhead at the top and that is the worst case of shutface I have ever seen and tells me that your left hand must have been bowed over at the top.

The overall tempo of the swing is fine but it is obvious that a few things need altering.

If you are coming to the NvS then I will put everything correct for you.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 4th Apr 2010 20:42

As one of the many people who has had the benefit of John's experience I can recommend it to anybody who is willing to listen.

Thanks John.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top