Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

playing as a 5 ball

Posted by: user60926 | Fri 26th Mar 2010 18:19 | Last Reply

Hi guys

Can anyone clear this up for me please.

Today some friends and myself went to play our weekly game of golf there was meant to be 6 people but someone dropped out.

The course was not busy due to the bad weather and there was no groups in front of us so we decided to play as a 5 ball.

When we was about to tee off on the 4th hole a man from the group behind decided to come forward and tell us we were holding everyone up behind and we should not be playing as a 5 ball group.

When we offered to let the groups play through we then realised that they were a full hole behind us and so could not of been holding them up anyway.

The assistant from the golf shop came out and told us to play as a 2 and a 3 ball which we did.

My argument was that we was playing quicker as a 5 ball than 2 separate groups.

We are not slow players and are always polite and well behaved on the course today we went round in 3 hours 15 mins.

Was we in the wrong to go out as a 5 ball it was only our local municipal course at the end of the day. 

re: playing as a 5 ball
user11501
Reply : Fri 26th Mar 2010 18:44

Chris is right there is no rule of golf regarding five balls. At my home course we can often see groups of 5 when the course is not at all busy so as long as you are not holding anyone up from behind then I see no problem.

One week we started playing as two three balls bur after the first hole we joined and played a six ball. Reason - there was a group of four women in front who were just too slow and wouldn't let us through so we still were quicker than they were as a six ball !!!

user99350
Reply : Sat 27th Mar 2010 07:11

There's always one moaning arse. I ask you... going out of his way, spending money on the 'phone to complain. I bet he's a right pompous prat.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 27th Mar 2010 09:33

I've played as a five ball twice during my golfing life.

Both times the course was very quiet and if anybody did come up behind us we let them straight through.

This guy just seems to be a bit of a pain in the butt.

Reminds me of a story from a friend of mine.

His buddy and he were playing golf when an older gentleman came walking upto them from another hole.

He said something along the lines of, "At this club we play golf with our shirts tucked in".

My friend gave the instant relpy, "It's a showerproof top!".

The older guy just turned away without saying a word!!!

There is probably one person at each golf club who is like this.

Russ

user16163
Reply : Sat 27th Mar 2010 09:53

Jason

A little tit for tat i know but i would have complained to the assistant who came to you about that guy using his mobile phone whilst on the course

user52922
Reply : Sat 27th Mar 2010 10:30

I can remember playing a five ball with Danny Brant, David and James Marshall and Paul Mason at Silvermere Golf Club, In fact we kept up with a two ball and the two ball behind, a husband and wife were quite au fait with us playing as a five, because we were quick enough.

But, going back to the good old days when we used to play a 10 ball every Friday evening at Chingford Golf Club, winner takes all, half handicap.

user202373
Reply : Sat 27th Mar 2010 19:36

they let people wear jeans and trainers on there and they wont allow you to play has a 5 ball tut tut ,my local course dont allow 5 balls but thats just them ,i think its better has its quicker ),

user52922
Reply : Thu 15th Apr 2010 22:50

Golf clubs like this are to be congratulated on trying to maintain the fine traditions of this game.

It would appear that you are no better than the louts of the English football squad who once again lived up to their reputation.

When in Rome, goes the famous saying and there is nothing truer.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 16th Apr 2010 00:08

Put the boot on the other foot. Let us go and start hitting golf balls in the middle of an England Training Session and see what happens.

If a Club asks for a Dress Code, if we can't comply, go play somewhere else.

5 balls are not a recognised grouping within The Rules of Golf so many Clubs don't allow them.

There, an answer to all posts.

TheLyth

user131525
Reply : Fri 16th Apr 2010 07:35

Have to agree.  If anyone (including footballers) is visiting a club it is up to them to comply with the club's rules or, as David says, go play elsewhere.  Surely John A, you're not saying these footballers deserve special treatment are you?

user52922
Reply : Fri 23rd Apr 2010 19:24

No, John A, it took me just a nanosecond to come to that conclusion to your post.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top