Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Shaping Your Shots

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 20th Mar 2010 22:54 | Last Reply

Imagine the scene....

You've got 160 yards to the center of the green.

The flag is on the right hand side of the green (about six paces on from the right hand side of the green edge).

There is a pon about five yards to the right of the green and the ground between the green and the pond slopes down to the water.

There is also a bunker just in front of the green, where the flag is.

This means that you cannot run the ball upto the green but have to carry it over the bunker.

The green is receptive and will hold a ball.

So what would you do and why.....

1)  So would you hit a draw, starting the ball at the edge of the pond and bringing it back to the flag.  The problem with this option is that if you don't get the ball to draw you'll probably end up in the pond.

2)  Would you hit a fade, starting the ball at the middle of the green and fading it towards the flag.  The problem with this option is that if the ball doesn't fade then you'll have a monster putt.

3)  Hit the ball straight at the flag.  Not the kind of shot that most people can play.

Russ

Last edit : Sun 21st Mar 2010 07:55
re: Shaping Your Shots
user16163
Reply : Sun 21st Mar 2010 06:02

"There is also a bunker just in front of the bunker."

double bunker eh russ

in answer to your question, contrary to what a few people think of me but i would probably just aim for the middle of the green and hope my putter is working ok so shouldnt leave the hole any worse than a par

user40826
Reply : Sun 21st Mar 2010 07:51

Yeah got to agree, being quite boring.  My natural fade to the middle of the green and two putt for par.  Sounds a tough hole - a bit like the 9th on the silver at the Shropshire.

Not boring sensible golf. 

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 21st Mar 2010 07:56

Changed the double bunker thing!

Russ

user106712
Reply : Sun 21st Mar 2010 13:04

I would aim straight for the flag will the clubface slightly closed, that way if I hit a bad shot it would go left and away from the pond. If I played a fade then I am turning the ball towards the pond so a bad shot would would probably go in the water and that is the worst that could happen on that hole.

Unless I needed a birdie to win the tournament that is.

Last edit : Sun 21st Mar 2010 13:07
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 21st Mar 2010 13:26

If it was a Tee-shot on a par3, its middle of green.

If it was a par4, I would make sure I had hit the ball left, meaning I would be approaching the grenn across the slope.

Wind and situation (level par/+20) would have to added in.

It would also be possible to put side-spin on the ball with loft and spin the ball towards the hole.

So as you can see, there are a number of options and the top guys pick the right one for the conditions.

TheLyth

user69191
Reply : Sun 21st Mar 2010 14:55

Middle of the green everytime, play the percentage shot

user77012
Reply : Sun 21st Mar 2010 16:11

Middle diddle for me too, 

user83555
Reply : Sun 21st Mar 2010 19:27

Aim for the middle of the green - yes / that makes sense / but  that all depends on your strengths I feel comfortable with fade half slicing in to the flag even if playing over a lake to the left in my case or out of bounds and back in again .... maybe some consistent drawers of the ball feel comfortable drawing it back from over the lake per RM's scenario but I bet there's not many who can do that with any confidence

It all comes down to can you "arc" the ball with a good degree of confidence - if you can then I think that is your best play ! 

Last edit : Sun 21st Mar 2010 19:36
user99350
Reply : Tue 23rd Mar 2010 08:35

With my recent form I'd settle to shape the shot straight .

user217280
Reply : Tue 23rd Mar 2010 14:22

I agree with Steve, on some holes a par is good, the birdie you scored on the previous hole doesn't mean much when you follow it up with a double or treble bogey by going for sucker pins.

Last edit : Tue 23rd Mar 2010 15:01
user9137
Reply : Tue 23rd Mar 2010 18:53

I`d aim for the right hand side of the green and my draw would then bring the ball back into the middle of the green (with luck)

Ian

Reply : Wed 24th Mar 2010 20:55

The assistant pro at my golf club showed me a simple way to get a draw.

I've tried it a few times on the course and it's working!

Today I was on the Abbotts course, the third hole 170 yards from the pin.  This is a par five so I was there for two shots.  For those that don't know this hole it's a pear shaped green, with a bunker in front, left side of the green with a large mound between the bunker and the green.  Just before the green on the right hand side is a small pond.

I stood there and thought to myself, the flag is on the left hand side of the green tucked in behind the mound, which is between the bunker and the green.

The best way I could see of getting my ball to roll towards the flag was for me to hit a draw....    well it's been working when I've been trying is so why not!

I took a five iron, which is my normal club for 170 yards, but with all the trouble in front of the green I didn't mind being long.

My playing partner was near me so I told him what I was going to do.....    A draw, aimed over the pond and turning left so it hit the green and would run upto the flag.

Well I hit a great shot, even though I say so myself!

The ball started straight at the pond then half way between me and the flag it started to turn towards it.   The ball landed on the green about twenty yards to the right of the flag.   And as it was a draw it ran up the green and past the flag, ending up about a yard off the back of the green.

I was really pleased that the shot had come off for me and to be over the back of the green for three shots was good for me.

Then hit a average chip which left me with a seven foot putt, which I missed so I ended up with a six.

But I can't have everything at once can I?     

Russ

user77012
Reply : Wed 24th Mar 2010 23:57

I guess your 6 iron would have been perfect Russ you must remember a draw will always travel further, great game init tho!

Last edit : Wed 24th Mar 2010 23:57
user9137
Reply : Thu 25th Mar 2010 06:39

Come on Russ - tell us your simple way to get a draw. Myself I draw the ball by setting up as normal then I withdraw my back foot slightly. This then gives me a slightly closed stance which gives me my draw.

Ian

Reply : Thu 25th Mar 2010 08:19

All I was told was to setup as normal and then swing the club more around my body, rather than on a good swing plane, just come around a bit lower.

He told me to keep my right elbow tucked into the side of my body throughout the swing.

Seems to work for me.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top