Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The follow through and finish

Posted by: user50657 | Thu 18th Mar 2010 15:38 | Last Reply

How important are they to producing a good shot?

I find that when I've hit a good drive, (yesterday I hit one over 300 yards)  I look at my finished position and I seem to have followed through completely and rotated fully so that my right toes are pointing directly into the ground and my clubhead is pointing skyward at about 2 o'clock (if that makes any sense!)

This isn't normally the case with me and I don't hit too many excellent shots and so haven't really taken much notice of my finishing position until I hit that good drive yesterday. I also feel that with my iron shots I don't seem to put the same amount of effort in as I do with the driver.

re: The follow through and finish
user50354
Reply : Thu 18th Mar 2010 16:29

I think the follow through is very important. If  I dont follow through properly I am likely to hit the ball fat as I don't get the weight shift right and then all kinds of funky shots result...

get the set up right and get the finish right and there is a chance that I will hit a half decent shot.....

user217280
Reply : Thu 18th Mar 2010 16:30

Graham

I tend to try and keep swing thoughts simple, but finishing my swing is something that I try to do every time, I concentrate on completeing my back swing by that I mean turning my shoulders and chest to face away from the target, then from there I think about turning my body through to face the target with my chest and belt buckle. If I can do this and keep balanced until the ball lands my ball stricking is much better. 

user77012
Reply : Thu 18th Mar 2010 17:34

Ivan,so i'm doing something right then, and I do have plenty of worn out right shoes

http://www.golfshake.com/video/watch/1395/Leyos_Driver_Swing.html

Last edit : Thu 18th Mar 2010 17:34
user77012
Reply : Thu 18th Mar 2010 18:05

Thanks Ivan, the right foot is deceptive I actually put a a lot of force down through the right foot and screw my foot clockwise whilst transferring the weight, once I feel the left leg  is   posted (feel ain't always real I know)  there's nothing left  in the right side. Its a compromise with the right leg almost locking out as my right leg is 30mm + shorter due a bike accident 26yrs ago.

As for the padding couldn't agree more I like my grub!

user77012
Reply : Thu 18th Mar 2010 18:41

Agreed Ivan , infact just built my Bridgestone J33 with a reg  aldila DVS albiet spined on the hard side and I have mine at 44".(where most should have it) That shaft on the vid is a reg Fugi Z com but I suspect if I CPM it it would be leaning towards firm.As for distance I'm a 240-250 carry (normal conditions).

What wouuld you say to if i kept more flex in the right leg and lost some shoulder turn. more or less powerfull? 

Sorry Graham for the Hi-jack,here's my 2 cents . The other thing you will find on making a full follow through is you would have possibly maximised your acceleration through impact . I see many stall their swing and then just callapse their arms so the club finishes on their shoulder.

user50657
Reply : Thu 18th Mar 2010 19:12

Not a problem Dave.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I was just admiring my drive and then realised what my finishing position was, and like has been stated my body was fully rotated, belt and chest facing target line etc.

But I find when striking my irons that I barely ever follow through and probably more often than not kinda quit on the shot, hence the unpredictable result and lack of distance. I can carry a drive 250 yards+ in normal conditions, but have to use a 7 iron on a 130 yard par 3. I outdrive my playing partners but then they are hitting wedges into the par 3s.

Looks like I've identified one of my problems and now just need to concentrate on following through with all clubs.

user77012
Reply : Thu 18th Mar 2010 19:35

Graham I would expect you to hit a 7 150-160yrds given your driving distance. You have worked out why you don't  so time to practice.

user77012
Reply : Thu 18th Mar 2010 21:07

Thaks Ivan, I'm quite comfortable with the shoulder turn and overswing seems to allow me more time to set the club back on plane, I could possibly work on generating more lag (do you think) as i seem to be very right hand dominant in the downswing as you  can see driving under then over,so maybe delay the right hand a bit? or try and retain the left bowed wrist?

Fine tuning not a problem as I am a club builder and work with an expert, I think mentioned it to you before we have built many for a fellow competitor of yours  Mr Glazier. He was over with my partner recently but i missed him, so spining not a problem and we also set most on neutral to target,

Interesting theory on the light clubs again goes againts orthadox teachings , i shall try it.

I generally have my SW @ D4/5 even at 44" as I like to feel where the head is and as for heads I tend to favour the low spinners.

user77012
Reply : Thu 18th Mar 2010 22:28

Ivan,I'm  aware of Mike Austin and own said DVD, great technique and loads of power in fact I think the compound pivot is a great move but have struggled to get it right. I was a taken back when he described taking from the top without lag but as you say its not  a requirement. I had notice his student was a right leg dragger which sort of made me feel better lol.

I have studied many swings/theories from Hogan,to S&T I will go checkout  JSM.

Located in Cardiff Ivan and Paul was over here for a while.

Last edit : Thu 18th Mar 2010 22:44

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top