Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

ball science

Posted by: user16742 | Sun 7th Mar 2010 17:08 | Last Reply

I ve been reading which is always a bad sign I just need to understand the science behind this.

Pro v's are soft and spin well mis hits will result in lots of sidespin and needs a swing speed of 100mph say.

the pro v 1x is harder spins less and mis hits will not have has much side spin as the pro v but needs a faster swing speed.

so say if you want the stopping and softness of the pro v your going to have to hit it more square else your in trouble.

But surly the pro v x should be aimed at players who are a bit more inconsistent as the bad shots wont be as bad? so why the high swing speed? 

re: ball science
user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Mar 2010 17:19

so why the high swing speed? 

It must be a high compression ball, Matt and only a fast swing speed will be able to get the best from the ball. Only those with plenty of money and an ego to match, play with them.

There are far kinder balls in the marketplace that suit us hackers much better. Now that my Z balatas are no longer in production I am now using the Bridgestone treosoft.

My problem is not stopping it, but getting it to go.

user24437
Reply : Mon 8th Mar 2010 00:37

Ball science - now that made me prick up my ears.  Too late to go into detail, but I'll just chuck a couple of scientifically correct facts rather than marketing hype.

1)  There is no standard for compression ratings on balls, and even if there was it would be fairly meaningless.  Balls are engineered with various layers of material of differing elasticity, so using a standard compression test (just applying a force to the static ball) would be useless as the differing layers release their energy at different rates.

2)  The softness of the ball is not really related to the amount of spin that can be imparted, top end Bridgestones have a harder but thinner skin than the equivalent Pro V - but this allows plenty of spin* to be generated if the ball is hit as hard as it is designed for.

3)  The amount and pattern of dimples on a ball has got nothing to do with the way a ball flies (obviously there is minimum number, having 3 dimples would be just stupid), it's only the depth that matters.  The depth promotes a thin boundary layer of slower moving air over the ball surface which 'sticks' to the surface - it's dragged round the perimeterin the direction of spin and creates lower pressure above the ball - making it rise.  Side spin is the same but just acts in different planes.

*  Mr Pettitt and my brother can attest to this - both seem to use balls that are only one step up from a marble but both are able to generate, and control, spin.

It's a bit more complicated than that actually - ball flight is effected by all sorts of other stuff, temperature, atmospheric pressure, relative humidity and velocity to name a few.

user52922
Reply : Mon 8th Mar 2010 20:16

Ivan, you are forgetting that I have stayed at your house a few times. Anyone who has oak panelled rooms must be loaded.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top