Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Handicaps! Um, confused.....

Posted by: user278078 | Wed 24th Feb 2010 11:05 | Last Reply

Hello everyone!!

I'm really sorry to bring this subject up again, but I thought I understood the handicap system until my club posted my first handicap at 22!!

I gave them my first 3 cards, the same 3 cards I put on here but golf shake gave me a 20.7.

Could someone give me a brief explanation as to why they differ by so much!

Thanks guys!

Damon

re: Handicaps! Um, confused.....
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 24th Feb 2010 11:13

We use a different system entirely to calculate the initial handicap based on an average of the first 3 cards.  Clubs will generally take your best round.

I would guess they have just taken the round that is 23 over and gone with that.  On golfshake we adjust for the blow up you had with the 11 and set to a double bogey

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 24th Feb 2010 11:24

I have heard that for you first handicap there are two ways a golf club can use.

The first way is to take your three cards, find your best scores then reduce all you bad holes to two shots over par.  That is then the handicap you are given.

Second way is to take all three cards.  Then reduce all your bad holes to two shots over par.  They then take the average of your three cards and that is the handicap you are given.

No matter which way they choose then your handicap should sort itself out over the first year.

Russ

user11501
Reply : Wed 24th Feb 2010 11:48

Guys,

Clubs should use the same system as laid down by congu. This is :-

To calculate your first (initial) golf handicap you need to enter three golf cards,You will then assess your 3 cards to determine which one will provide the best Nett Differential Score (NDS); essentially this is done by reducing any holes that are greater than 2 shots over par to being 2 shots over par, for example, if you have entered an 8 on a par 5 then, for the sake of this calculation, our system will read it as a 7.

Once any holes have been reduced to double-bogey (maximum of three) the course SSS (Standard Scratch Score) is then substracted from the adjusted Gross Score, which is done in turn for each of the 3 cards.  The lowest result from the scorecards is used to allot the players initial golf handicap. For example, if the best card had a Gross Score of 94 and this was reduced by two shots for the double-bogey adjustment resulting in an adjusted score of 92, the course SSS (let's say it's 69, for example) is subtracted from this giving 23.0, this becomes the players golf handicap.

Note: the Course Par plays no part in the initial golf handicap calculation.

I hope this helps you to understand the calculation.

user77012
Reply : Wed 24th Feb 2010 13:49

Treason in the camp! To the tower with that MAN!!   All together now "Lets all do the CONGU la la la la ................"

Well done on your first HCP Damon , Its a lot better than mine when I joined Peterstone,

Last edit : Wed 24th Feb 2010 13:51
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 25th Feb 2010 08:28

Chris, I believe that was how it used to be done. 

Martin that is how it should now be being done.

Damon, you are correct on how we do it on Golfshake

user11501
Reply : Thu 25th Feb 2010 20:38

• Compute a ‘Competition Scratch Score’ (CSS) for the competition,
  • Calculate a ‘nett differential’ for each player. This is the difference between the players’ nett score (score less current handicap) and the CSS,
  • If the competition is a medal round, possibly adjust the nett differentials under ‘Stableford Adjustment’,
  • Use each players’ nett differential to adjust their handicap according to the following formula:
  • Handicap of player Buffer Zone Nett Differentials below zero Nett Differentials above buffer zone Category 1:
    Handicaps up to 5 0 to +1 Handicap reduced by 0.1 for each stroke Nett Differential is below zero Handicap increased by 0.1 Category 2:
    Handicaps 6 to 12 0 to +2 Handicap reduced by 0.2 for each stroke Nett Differential is below zero Handicap increased by 0.1 Category 3:
    Handicaps 13 to 20 0 to +3 Handicap reduced by 0.3 for each stroke Nett Differential is below zero Handicap increased by 0.1 Category 4:
    Handicaps 21 to 28 0 to +4 Handicap reduced by 0.4 for each stroke Nett Differential is below zero Handicap increased by 0.1 Category 5:
    Handicaps 29 to 36 () 0 to +5 () Handicap reduced by 0.5 for each stroke Nett Differential is below zero () Handicap increased by 0.1 ()

user11501
    Reply : Thu 25th Feb 2010 20:39
       What is &lsquo;Stableford Adjustment&rsquo;?          <p>       Clubs must apply &lsquo;Stableford Adjustments&rsquo; to       Nett Differentials calculated after a Medal Competition.       This adjustment has the effect of converting Nett       Differentials under medal play to those which would have       been calculated had the competition been played under       Stableford format, eliminating any distortions resulting       from unusually high scores (such as a 10 on a hole, for       example).     </p>     <p>       Here, players&rsquo; Nett Differentials are reduced for       each stroke scored on the players card which is more than       two over Par after any handicap strokes have been       subtracted for that hole (a &lsquo; <strong>Nett</strong> Double       Bogey&rsquo.     </p>     <p>       No adjustments to Nett Differentials under Stableford       Adjustment may be made to Category 1 players (less than 5.5       handicap) prior to 1st January 2001. From this date,       adjustments must be made to all categories of golfer.     </p>      <p>       Back to       Top     </p>            How is a Nett Differential calculated if the competition is       played as Stableford format?          <p>       A players&rsquo; Nett Differential is calculated as<br />        36 - (Points scored) + (Par of Course) - (Competition       Scratch Score)     </p>     <p>       Back to       Top     </p>            What is a &lsquo;Buffer Zone&rsquo;?          <p>       A player&rsquo;s &lsquo;Buffer Zone&rsquo; is a range of       scores returned in competitions where the player&rsquo;s       handicap will not be changed. The buffer zone is different       depending upon the player&rsquo;s handicap category. A       player returns a score within his Buffer Zone when his Nett       Differential is within specified limits.     </p>                                           <p align="center">               Handicap of player             </p>                                   <p align="center">               Buffer Zone(Nett Differential)             </p>                                                     <p align="center">               Category 1: Handicaps up to 5             </p>                                   <p align="center">               0 to +1             </p>                                                     <p align="center">               Category 2: Handicaps 6 to 12             </p>                                   <p align="center">               0 to +2             </p>                                                     <p align="center">               Category 3: Handicaps 13 to 20             </p>                                   <p align="center">               0 to +3             </p>                                                     <p align="center">               Category 4: Handicaps 21 to 28             </p>                                   <p align="center">               0 to +4             </p>

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
    Reply : Fri 26th Feb 2010 02:52

For every round that you are over your handicap (including the buffer zone) your handicap will go up by 0.1

Your handicap will only ever go up 0.1, so it will take you ten bad rounds to go up 1 full shot.

If you score is over your handicap but within your buffer zone your handicap will remain the same.

When you play really well and shoot below your handicap then your handicap will be reduced.  How much it is reduced will depend on the Competition Scratch Score (CSS) and what handicap category you are in.

Hope this is easier to understand for you.

Russ

user77012
    Reply : Fri 26th Feb 2010 07:59

Martin  Thanks Russ , thats clearer for me aswell

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top