Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

more snow

Posted by: user60926 | Sun 21st Feb 2010 11:38 | Last Reply

Aarrgghh.

Im never going to get my handicap down at this rate more snow has arrived.

Ive only played once this year due to the weather conditions.

I feel sorry for you guys that have to pay membership fees i was going to join a club this year but not to sure now.

re: more snow
user52922
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 11:57

I am one of those, Jason. I renewed my membership on the 1st Novemember 2009 and have no hit a ball at my club since then, although I have played twice since then. Once at Pine ridge which is another Crown golf course and once at Test Valley where I paid a green fee. Both courses drain well and had buggies on.

Having said that, my fees for the year only work out at £10.76 a week so I will certainly get my value over the whole year.

user52922
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 13:22

I don't feel sorry for them at all because it is these clubs that have changed the game in this country. The private clubs, who do not have to make a profit will always survive, as has been proved by the many golf clubs in this country with over 100 years behind them already.

The corporate clubs have changed hands many times, ripping off the founder members, owing them large sums of money as they have folded.

I am a member of such a club and I do not delude myself that I am a member of a golf club in the truest form of the word. My annual subscription, though welcome, is virtually teated as a season ticket, which one can get at a municipal.

It suits me at my age as I have different needs now to when I was younger, but all the really good players have left for private clubs as they need to progress.

Regarding the Abbey, David, judging by the amount of bad weather we have had, I doubt very much that buggies will be on in six weeks time as I fully expect the condition of the course is no better than when I played it with Darren Ramowski before Christmas.

user52922
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 15:11

A course I have played in Derbyshire, Erewash Valley G.C. has annual subscriptions for 7 day members at £685. Of course there is a joining fee but most cluibs have one of those, although those that are desperate will often waive that.

Good private clubs you will find are not as expensive in yearly subs as you imagine, as they are not profit making exercises.

I am quite sure that there are plenty of courses for you to join, Jason, that will work out far cheaper than paying green fees.

As I have mentioned earlier I only pay £10.76 per week to be a member and I could not possibly play anywhere else for that money paying green fees. Not forgetting the other 50 courses I have free acess to.

I really do miss the private club life though.

user52922
Reply : Mon 22nd Feb 2010 08:52

David, my fivers save you from depression, be grateful.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top