Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Shanking bump & runs!!!

Posted by: user26342 | Sat 20th Feb 2010 22:29 | Last Reply

I don't know why but just suddenly out of the blue I am shanking bump & run shots. Anything from a 9iron upwards I just don't know why I'm doing it. Full shot, half shot & even 3/4 shots are fine but a little bump & run & the J Arther appears??

Any ideas??

Thanks. 

re: Shanking bump & runs!!!
user99350
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 11:40

John, looks like you're coming across the line. Could be you're leaning into it.... that's usually the case when I hit one. I'd hit the practice pitch and concentrate with your mind on the plane of the swing.

user52922
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 13:30

Once plagued with this dreaded disease, it is very difficult to eradicate it due to the affect it has on ones brain. One is always conciously waiting for it to happen on every shot that the affliction has attached itself.

I have gone through this affliction on pitch shots from fifty yards in and came to the conclusion that there was not a cure for me that would be permanent. I have now solved this problem by not attempting shots that could possibly shank and those that I could, I have overcome with the purchase of a club that is completely shank-proof.

This is an affliction that usually only affects the better player. No consolation of course.

user106712
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 14:07

According to "leadbetter" a bump and run should be played off the toe of the club with a putting stroke.this deadens the contact and makes it easier to judge distances. ( apparently) that way you're less likely to hit the ball with the hosel, causing a shank.

user52922
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 15:15

If you believe that, Adrian then go ahead and do it. Personally I am not a great admirer of his teachings.

How can anyone teach that the best way to control any shot is to mishit it. Please explain to me how that makes it easier to judge the distance.

user99350
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 15:19

David, in which cas4e he's leaning into it. Perhaps I used wrong description: he's moving out of the swing plane. 

user106712
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 15:30

There you go John !! thats why you shank it.

user52922
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 15:39

I have never shanked a bump and run in my life, Adrian, fifty yard shots requiring a pitch were my problem, all overcome now with a shankproof club that I now use for those shots.

user106712
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 15:39

Ey up Pat ! did you have a good time in t'algarve ? give me a shout when you're up for a game (weekdays only tho ) c ya !

user52922
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 16:22

Therefore the body is too close to the ball. 
Also still close to the body after it has been shanked.

user99350
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 16:59

Sorry to disagree David but as a 'sufferer' myself I do have first hand knowledge of this affliction. I'm NOT saying it's not standing too close to the ball, that could be one reason (however note the likes of Furyk... you could say he stands too close to the ball) . If you line in up the centre of the club and strike it in the hosel then you are by definition moving into/ across the line... whateever, however you want to describe it.

Hi Adrian, I hope you're well. Algarve was  really good though I've been a week back at work and still nowhere near catching up. I might see you doen at NvS?

user77012
Reply : Sun 21st Feb 2010 18:37

Common Fault. 

Too active lower half for this type of shot and leaving the club face open at impact.

Minimize the the legs and don't open the club face to much in your backswing.

user26342
Reply : Mon 22nd Feb 2010 09:50

Cheers for all the advice chaps.

I went in the back garden last night & tried standing further away & it didn't help so I tried closing the clubface slightly & hey presto every single shot perfect. 

I think this may be what Dave Ley & Steve were getting at in that maybe I was leaving the clubface open / not being able to square up.

This might not be the correct way to fix the fault but until I meet up with fellow GS members to take a look I'll stick with for now.

Thanks.

user26342
Reply : Tue 2nd Mar 2010 08:51

As if by magic there is an article on the Todays golfers home page on this subject!!

Link

user129665
Reply : Tue 2nd Mar 2010 18:16

my tip is to move the right foot back a ft (if right handed) and work on hitting it at 1 O'Clock eg pushing your hands towards the target 

most people come inside and then get closed through impact area, moving the foot back promotes me hitting it with a slightly neutral clubface rather than open

also your probably moving just before you hit them also, slight lean towards the target

practice standing still really still feels uncomfy but needed for good short game  

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 2nd Mar 2010 19:21
user77012
Reply : Tue 2nd Mar 2010 20:05

Geez, I just had to go to the bathroom an have a good chuck!!!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top