Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Club/Society/handicap question - sorry...

Posted by: user276830 | Tue 9th Feb 2010 12:19 | Last Reply

Sorry to ask another question on handcaps etc...

I'm wondering about the differing types of handicap. Some amateur tournaments ask for entrants to be "members of Golf Clubs recognised and affiliated to their country’s governing body and must have an official club handicap".

Now (and bear with me here). I'm assuming being in a golf society, and having a handicap from that society is not enough to enter a compition like this?

If so, how does one become a member of a club? How does a club differ from a society? 

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I feel like I know how to play this sport, and I can feel myslef improving each week. But a lot of the peripheral stuff I'm still learning.

I'm hoping to have my HC down to around the 10 mark by the end of 2010, I've joind a society for the first time and the first outing is at the end of the month. By this time next year I'd like to be competing in amatuer tournaments if I can, but I don't want to be left red faced about these sorts of rules.

Thanks in advance guys!

re: Club/Society/handicap question - sorry...
user106712
Reply : Tue 9th Feb 2010 12:31

You need a congu handicap to enter club open competitions. To get it you need to join a club, if all you want is the handicap then you can join a municipal club without the greenfees, you can then get a handicap by putting in 3 cards signed by a member. You can then pay the greenfees when you want to play there.

Society handicaps may be calculated differently to official congu handicaps.

Last edit : Tue 9th Feb 2010 12:32
user52922
Reply : Tue 9th Feb 2010 12:33

To enter any decent competition one has to have an official club handicap. To enter a club competition one must be a member of that club. Open events will not accept a society handicap.

This is the problem with golf these days, there are now way too many nomadic players who play whenever they feel like, at whatever course they wish to play, thus not getting involved in proper golf club events being social or playing, yet then expect to be accepted into the golf club fraternity with all its benefits.

A handicap is only there to enable players of all abilities to compete on equal terms, sometimes however, we have all witnessed the level of scoring required to win anything these days.

My advice would be to join a  club and be involved in all aspects of that club. You will soon appreciate the benefits of this.

Incidently there is a very nice course and club in Antrim, which is not too far away from you.

Last edit : Tue 9th Feb 2010 12:35
user106712
Reply : Tue 9th Feb 2010 13:58

I would like to enter competitions at my club but as I can only play midweek I am a bit stuck. They have a midweek medal but no-one ever enters it. So my only chance is to either play in society comps which I do at work, or in open comps which me and a couple of mates will be entering this year.

user52922
Reply : Tue 9th Feb 2010 15:02

Nothing wrong with societies, Ray, after all I play in many golfshake events, but it is not a substitute for anyone wishing to really progress in the game. Being a member opens up all kinds of opportunities that a society cannot offer.

Ray, if you are going to quote me, then it would be nice if you quoted my exact words and not your interpretation of what I said, then if you had, your comments would have been unnecessary.

user52922
Reply : Tue 9th Feb 2010 16:51

Currently you are a nomadic player, are you not? so any attempt to rebuff my statement is not valid.

You said you have joined a society which makes me think that serious golf is not exactly prominent in your current thoughts.

I offered my thoughts, you took umbrage and decided to be funny, that is your prerogative, but I am afraid it is completely wasted on me.

Hope you find what you want.

user106712
Reply : Tue 9th Feb 2010 18:02

Hey John, is that why you joined golfshake and play in golfshake society matches then ?

user52922
Reply : Tue 9th Feb 2010 18:14

Adrian, you have asked a question based on what I have just written, so will attempt to explain my position.

First of all I have been playing 55 years so have been a member of a few golf clubs during that time. Chingford, G.C, St. Georges Hill G.C., Clevedon G.C. Almerimar G.C. (Spain) Frinton G.C. Wimbledon Common Golf Club and currently Sherfield Oaks G.C.

I stopped playing when I had my first heart attack and when I moved to Reading three years ago I thought I would start playing again. I knew no one in Reading so joined the VGS and played in a few of their events, I joined Golfshake and Sherfield Oaks at about the same time, so I have extra chances of playing with like minded players by being a part of these societies, but I have always been a member somewhere.

I am also fortunate that being a member of Sherfield Oaks gives me the opportunity to play for free on 52 other courses, most of them in my area, in fact I have just been invited to play tomorrow at Pine Ridge G.C. as I have been told that buggies are now back on. I can only play with a golf buggy.

I have a wonderful group of friends both on this site and at my club who make sure that I still out to play and being an old man of 73 I find that very pleasing.

So, Adrian, as you can see I am at a different stage in golf to Ray and I was only trying to help him make a the right decision, which I stand by.

user106712
Reply : Tue 9th Feb 2010 18:56

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with playing lots of differewnt courses. it gives you new challenges each time you play. Rather than knowing what club to take where ever you are on your home course.

I am looking foreward to playing in open comps all over yorkshire this year.

user52922
Reply : Tue 9th Feb 2010 19:05

If you think that playing at a private club means that you know what club to take every time, then you don't understand this game that well. I certainly cannot guarantee what club I will need on a day to day basis.

One still gets to play other courses even being a member at one. I have played golf all over this country and many other countries and they all bring their challenges, but that is a poor excuse not to be a member somewhere.

user106712
Reply : Tue 9th Feb 2010 20:41

Heres a good website to find competitions in your area. you can enter most even when there is a handicap limit lower than yours but you would have to play off a lower handicap.

you might prefer to play mostly in pairs comps or teams to begin with. but you will need a club handicap.

www.golfempire.co.uk

user26342
Reply : Tue 9th Feb 2010 21:48

Ray,

I think your ambition of getting your handicap down to 10 at the end of 2010 is admirable although I suspect this probably won't happen. One of these reasons is that you haven't yet experienced Medal play in a club competition from the Medal tees. This is a completley different experience from Society golf.

Also if / when you do join a club you will be required to enter 3 cards to obtain your CONGU handicap, again strokeplay will be used for this, so you may find that you don't start with your current handicap of 17.9.

This isn't any criticism just making you aware of the situation that could arise.

John.

user52922
Reply : Tue 9th Feb 2010 22:12

Excellent post Floody, how do you do it?

user26342
Reply : Wed 10th Feb 2010 14:45

Ray,

No probs.

JP - It's the way I tell em

user77012
Reply : Wed 10th Feb 2010 16:12

Ray, hope you get settled soon,you won't regret it.

user78137
Reply : Thu 11th Feb 2010 22:26

hi Ray

i have been a member of golf clubs over the years.  yes it is good to get a "proper" handicap that is CONGU recognised.  you also get the chance to get help from the club professional etc & in some cases even discount on products from the pro shop.  However if like me you prefer a more relaxed & fun side of the game i would strongly recommend to join a golf society.the banter etc will help you relax. you will improve your game due to competition against oponents without the serious side hampering your nerves.  playing other courses is also a good test as most of the time you play semi blind.  this improves your strategy & control of the ball etc. a few of our society members have even not renewed their memberships on their chosen courses as they have far more fun playing in the society. so for me esecially from the fun aspect which as an amatuer is what it should be about then join a society.  then if you wish & prefer better & sterner competition you can pay the bucks to be a member at a club. hope this helps

user26342
Reply : Thu 11th Feb 2010 23:11

David,

I've been a member of a club for the last 3 years, prior to that I played in societies (& still do). Since joining a club I have found that my golf has improved, I have made new friends & played with people of all abilites.

You don't have to enter the competitions if you don't like the competitive side of the game, although you'll still need to enter a few monthly medals to keep your handicap current.

When's there's no comps or medals on I can simply turn up & get a game with other members who enjoy banter & play in a relaxed atmosphere.

You can have your cake & eat it

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 12th Feb 2010 12:16

There is another option and one I have taken this morning.

Due to problems with my health (knees) I have decided that paying £925 pa to play at Horsforth GC in Leeds is not worth it, so I will return to my first "Club" Roundhay, a 9hole Muni, but a great place. Membership is under £100 and I will get all the same benefits (CONGU Hcp, Comps etc) but now I will need to pay each time I play and at under £15 a time, if I play every week its still cheaper than Horsforth. But I will have to get used to 5hr rounds on a week-end.

TheLyth

user26342
Reply : Fri 12th Feb 2010 15:33

David,

With the warm weather hopefully around the corner would you not venture out twice a week? If yes then your 2nd option could become quite expensive.

I don't think I could go back to muni's just because of the differing levels of ettiqutte & as you say 5hr rounds.

Good luck.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 12th Feb 2010 17:04

John,

The G/F's for Leeds Muni's are £10.40 W/D & £13.50 W/E. Also you can buy a Season Ticket for £362 that covers all Leeds Muni's, thats 36holes at Temple Newsam, 18 at both Gotts Park and Middleton Park, plus the 9holes at Roundhay.

TheLyth

Last edit : Fri 12th Feb 2010 17:05

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top