Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf Stats!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 6th Feb 2010 20:12 | Last Reply

As a golfer who likes to keep my stats I have found it very odd how my FIR stand.

The problem at my golf club is that both courses have dogleg fairways.

Now I aim down the middle of the fairway and drive the ball really well.  What happens then is that my ball will land on the fairway but run through to the semi-rough, all due to the dogleg.

I played last week and hit two out of the thirteen fairways (yes, seven par threes on this course).

But the worst drive I did was only about five paces from the fairway!

So sometimes stats are not as good as some people think they are.

Russ

re: Golf Stats!
user125585
Reply : Sun 7th Feb 2010 22:13

Stats are often thrown out by playing courses with 20 holes!!!

Very good of you not to mention your score on that day as well, probably the best 69 you have ever had.

Well done Russ

user52922
Reply : Mon 8th Feb 2010 11:08

Stats can be read to give any result you wish, so are really a waste of time. I could hit every fairway yet only be 200 yards down it, whereas you could miss every fairway yet be 280 yards down the hole in the first cut, which, as we all know, is not a penalty at all.

The Stats say I am the better driver, but we all know that is a complete lie.

I would not call any hole on the Priors a dog leg in the true sense of the term.

You must also remember, Russ, that dog legs are there to present a challenge, one of which is to be able to get as far down the hole as possible but still remain on the fairway. If you are only running into the first cut then you don't have tp worry, but what if there were bunkers guarding the outside of the dog leg. You would then have to think about how you polayed the hole. Probably in your case it would mean laying up with a three wood, but when golf clubs were designed to be able to shape the ball then the draw or fade around the corner of the dog leg was another weapon to use.

Golf is a game of plotting ones way down a hole, avoiding all the hazards that are presented to you on the way.

When you run out of fairway it is because you know that is going to happen and that the penalty is negligible. If there were a lake on the corner would you still play the same shot of which you are complaining about now. Of course you wouldn't.

For the Stats, personally I would count any drive that was a satisfying length down the hole even if into the first cut as a FIR, because that is the only stat that is sensible.

The same applies to putting, If I putt from off the green then I am expecting to get down in 2 putts, if I didn't, then I would record a 3 putt green.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 8th Feb 2010 12:07

Stats is an individual thing and mean different things to different people.

A GIR on a 400yd hole doesn't show a difference between using two 3woods to reach or a Drive & Wedge.

If you want to analyse your own Stats, you can do if many different ways.

How many GIR's do you get from a missed FIR?

How many 1putts from missed GIR's?

I find that I can analyse my game from all the Stats, but not from just one. I hit 3/14 FIR says I played badly on its own, but if I also hit 15/18 GIR then that tells a different story.

TheLyth

Last edit : Mon 8th Feb 2010 12:08
user52922
Reply : Mon 8th Feb 2010 13:42

I find that I can analyse my game from all the Stats, but not from just one. I hit 3/14 FIR says I played badly on its own, but if I also hit 15/18 GIR then that tells a different story.

Agreed, Lyth. I don't aree that missing a fairway by a small amount, especially when playing for one side of it on purpose can be considered playing badly, which the stat will show. The GIR is the most important stat in my opinion.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top