Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

North vs South - team match ups?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 1st Feb 2010 09:43 | Last Reply

Just read a very interesting post on the North vs South matchplay event in April.  The suggestion is that the pairs are picked by the Captains in advance to allow people to play together if they wish and for the Captains to put certain players together but ....

.... rather than Captains decide the playing order the order is randomly picked the evening before ?

Any thoughts ?

re: North vs South - team match ups?
user24437
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 10:00

I suggest that we do it exactly like last year.  Captains pick the pairs and their playing order with no prior knowledge of the opponents pairings.  Send them to you and that's the draw.

Each captain sorts his own pairings out based on various requests from his team on who they'd like to play with, when they'd like to tee of etc.  The only exception to this was that the captains go off first as a four. 

user26342
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 14:06

I'll second it

user24437
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 14:41

Only way to go really, as much as I'd like to have a re-match to try and redress the balance from last year the chances are that we won't get to.  After all, it's a team match.

user24437
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 15:13

It wasn't a re-match you silly old fool, you played with Danny in the first N v S.  

user26342
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 15:34

Yeah, you tell him Tim

user11501
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 20:28

As north captain I wholly agree that the two lists should be submitted independently and matchups drawn from those submissions.

However, "fixing" the draw did happen at the highest level in a Ryder Cup in 1975. Anyone remember Barnes v Nicklaus II.

Brian Barnes beat Jack Nicklaus in the morning singles. So infuriated by this Jack said Barnesy could't do it again and promptly requested a rematch. So one Captain "Unofficially" spoke to the other and low and behold they were paired again in the afternoon. With a random draw what would be the odds!!!!!!

Brian promptly beat Jack again !!!

So maybe Tim, you may get a rematch nudge nudge wink wink !!!!

user231725
Reply : Tue 2nd Feb 2010 10:58

Martin

Surely you're not old enough to remember that.  I had you down for about 35 tops.  Perhaps, that very event was happening as you came into this world, and it stuck somewhere in your subconscious.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree that the Captains should submit their pairings and a draw made from then on. 

user131525
Reply : Tue 2nd Feb 2010 12:39

and he's had a very tough life.

user11501
Reply : Tue 2nd Feb 2010 15:51

Steady on guys, not ready for the knackers yard just yet. But as a fountain of knowledge of sport present and past these sorts of things stick in the memory.

To be honest, uit really doesn't matter which order my team is played the south will get a tonking !!!!!!!

As regards Dave and his WMD, I'll have to ask his wife in Portugal if it is really worth the title !!!!!!!!!!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top