Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Mickelson a cheat?

Posted by: user40826 | Mon 1st Feb 2010 07:11 | Last Reply

What do we all think of Mickelson using a wedge with U-shaped grooves from before 1990?  Personally I think if he can get an edge in the game (as if he needs it) then fair play to him - bending the rules is not breaking the rules.

Full Story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/8489846.stm

re: Mickelson a cheat?
user106712
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 09:37

He's not on his own ! John Daley has some and is apparrently searching ebay for old ping wedges to stock up.

user24437
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 10:11

Firstly, he isn't cheating, the USPGA has the exception specifically written into the rules.  Mickleson has simply taken advantage of the exemption and there is nothing to stop everyone using them apart from maybe really jerking off their sponsors.  Whether or not it's within the spirit of the rules governing the changing of the grooves in clubs I'm not so sure, but that really isn't the point.

One interesting point that I heard yesterday is what happens in the Ryder Cup.  The rules specifically say that their use is for USPGA sanctioned events only, but the Ryder Cup isn't, so will he have to change his clubs for that event only? 

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 12:03

It seems that a few other players have them in the bag too.

I remember them, you hit your Titleist Balata ball once with the wedges. It ripped the covering off them.

TheLyth

user26342
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 14:13

Be interesting to know if he's had a new shaft on it & new grip?? Then it would just be an old head but new modern technology.

With the way they can clean clubs today I bet it won't be far off the new wedges of today

user127691
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 15:47

They rekon John Daly has got 9 spare sets and alot of the european pro's are paying rediculous prices on ebay for these.

I just wish i had some I could sell on

user77012
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 17:24

And besides we need to rein you in a bit anyway Darren11

I have a ping eye 2 wedge, any offers?? 

just notice if you go down another 2pts Daz I get a shot off you.

And i don't believe he's cheating the old ping lob wedge has been a favorite of many pro's for years.

Last edit : Mon 1st Feb 2010 17:28
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 2nd Feb 2010 14:27

The new groove rules don't affect the amatuer game for a few more year yet.

It is not against the rules to play with PI2 clubs, so therefore none of the players using them are cheating.

From what I understand Ping took the USPG tour to court and won, therefore making these clubs legal.

The easiest solution to this problem is for the players to have a 'Gentleman's agreement' between themselves that none of them will use these clubs.

I was watching the US golf over the weekend and I heard that they would be having a meeting with the players to discuss this matter.  Let's wait and see what the outcome is.

The PI2 clubs are only legal in the USA and Mexico, nowhere else in the world, so they won't be able to use them in the Open.

Another interesting fact from the weekend was that people had tried to use a 64 degree wedge with the new grooves.  They got no spin at all with them, so they all agreed that the 64 degree wedge was dead!

Russ

Reply : Tue 2nd Feb 2010 16:09

Looking into this thing deeper, it doesn't seem to be a "V" groove verses "Square" groove issue.

According to the relevant USGA Decision, clubs manufactured before 31st March 1990 are not illegal under the new Rule. The decision relates to the distance between grooves. The Rule (App II, R5c(i)) states "the distance between edges of adjacent grooves must not be less than 3 times the width of the grooves and not less than 0.075 inches"

USGA Decision 4-1/100 states a distance of 2.3 times is OK for clubs pre 31/03/1990 in accordance with USGA Decision 4-1/1/Exception which actually mentions Ping Eye 2's.

TheLyth

user24437
Reply : Thu 4th Feb 2010 15:01

Dave, just quote rule 4-2a at your partner - 'during a stipulated round, the playing characteristics of a club must not be purposely changed by adjustment or by any other means' - see appendix II - design of clubs'. 

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 4th Feb 2010 15:27

Yes, Mickleson has declared that he will not be using the Ping Eye 2 club in this weeks tournament.

Now, is he going to go back to using it after?

I think it's the right thing to do.

Russ

Reply : Thu 4th Feb 2010 17:07

My memory is not crystal clear, but I seem to remember Ping bringing out two different designs during the late 80's. One had the grooves closer together than normal and the other was the famous "Square" or "D" groove.  The R&A and USGA then changed the Rule and Ping took the USGA to court and won. This court action was in the States and didn't effect the UK because the clubs in question were not available here then (1992?).

TheLyth

user129665
Reply : Fri 5th Feb 2010 16:13

fair play the old ping eye 2 l wedges were crap big and ugly 

i bet his club sponsors are really happy him getting plenty of tv coverage for another brand lol

Reply : Sun 7th Feb 2010 15:29

Dave,

Having an adjustable Club is OK and within the Rules as long as you play the complete round with them on ONE SETTING. The Rule is that you can't change the playing characteristics of a club during a round.

TheLyth

Reply : Mon 8th Feb 2010 11:04

The R&A don't carry the Decision that allows these wedges, so they are illegal in the UK, so Westwood and Co can't use them on The European Tour. It seems that the loop-hole is something to do with a deal between the USGA and Ping from a court case in 1992.

TheLyth

user52922
Reply : Mon 8th Feb 2010 18:52

I feel that too much is being made of this groove problem, after all, some players like to spin it back, some like to stop it on a sixpence, some like it to check after one bounce, yet others like to see it run out a little.

No one method is any better than the next in achieving the required accuracy with a shot to the pin.

The secret is to play to your strengths and not attempt the impossible.

Reply : Mon 8th Feb 2010 22:14

One of the avenues being discussed in this issue is the fact Mickleson is gaining an advantage. But wait, the whole US fields can use these wedges.

What about 64* wedges? If one player carries one and another player doesn't, don't we have the same issue? Back in the 70's, a 52* wedge was the loftiest you could get.

If a club is legal, then why shouldn't someone play it.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top