Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Rules help - lost ball?

Posted by: user276830 | Thu 28th Jan 2010 20:24 | Last Reply

What is the rules regarding a ball that is hit into thick bushed along the fairway?

Say, for instance, I can go in and retrieve the ball but, as it sits, there is no possibility of playing the shot, can I lift it and drop it. incurring a penalty? Or is the ball deamed lost? How many strokes do I add for dropping? And how many for a lost ball?

Thanks in advance.

Another wee rules question: say I ground the club behind the ball on the fairway and the ground is so soft that my grounding cuases the ball to move slightly but is still on the same piece of ground i.e. it doesn't roll or tounch the clubhead, it just shakes, is that counted as a stroke?

re: Rules help - lost ball?
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 28th Jan 2010 20:54

Ray,

The Rules allow you to take the same proceedure for both a "lost" ball and an unplayable ball. You can go back to where you last played from adding one shot to your score. Also when your ball is "unplayable" you have two other options, one is a two club length drop either side or go back in line (flag - original position & dropping point) as far as you wish, adding the same one shot.

A ball can oscilate (rock) without penalty but if it moves you are penalised.

If you go to to either the R&A or USGA home pages you can download The Rules and The Decisions. These will then become 'good reading' during your spare time.

TheLyth

re: Rules help - lost ball?
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 28th Jan 2010 21:24

David,

The Rules define "moved" as "it leaves its position and comes to rest in any other place", to rock or oscillate is not deemed as movement, even on the fairway.

I have played Golf for over 40yrs  and only now am I learning the in's and outs of the Rules from an administration side and it is mind blowing. You have to get the right terminology. I would accept "that may be in trouble, so I'd better hit another" to mean that they will play a Provisional. No, its three (or more) off the Tee.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top