Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What are Course Conditions like ?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 25th Jan 2010 13:08 | Last Reply

I've not managed to venture out yet but hope to do so this week.

It's looking like pretty much all courses are now open but are they up to scratch ? I noticed from my own lawn that the ground is still very wet. 

Are the courses as to be expected at this time of year or a lot worse from the recent snow ?

re: What are Course Conditions like ?
user24437
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 13:20

I've had a couple of outings since the snow.  Last Tuesday Bondhay was in absolutely superb condition with just temporary green, and hardly any mud.  College Pines at the weekend was dry and quite hard apart from the greens which were soft but very bumpy.  Not so sure about the local courses because of the flood plain.

user34817
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 16:09

I've played Southern Valley in Kent twice in the last week and apart from being a little bit muddy it is in pretty good nick.  No temp greens or tees and no standing water.  Managed to equal my best score of 92 but (as always) should have shot lower.  I missed a three foot birdie putt on a par five!  Still managed four pars and a birdie on the front though and got round in only 6 over net.  Unfortunately the back wasn't as good and ended up -3 gross for the round.  I'll be back next week for another go!

user24437
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 18:11

Oooh, ooh.  What day?

user24437
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 19:31

PGA, obviously.  Saturday is probably best but I can do either mate.  Would I have to sign in as Mrs Perry?

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 20:04

Cheers for feedback guess it comes down to who pays the big money to have proper drainage installed or built the course on decent land

user26342
Reply : Tue 26th Jan 2010 10:10

Played at the Celtic Manor the weekend. Played the Roman Road on Sunday & it was in great nick, greens were quick & fairways superb. Played the Montgomorie yesterday & that was a little damper but still very very playable.

As a bonus we all took part in the par 3 challenge which I won by sticking it 1 foot from the pin which won me another free round of golf at the Celtic

user26342
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 13:42

Tim,

looks like you got to shave your head, put on a few pounds & talk like a northener & all before Saturday!!

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 20:47

I never have my shirt hanging out.....

user26342
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 20:54

Before or after the 1st tee

user26342
Reply : Thu 28th Jan 2010 11:00

Must be a 'Paul Ince' superstition thing??

Reply : Fri 29th Jan 2010 12:13

The laces is a hangover from my rugby days.  Never used to do my laces up until I was on the pitch.  It started as a comfort thing (allows your boots to loosen and settle) then became a superstition.  Also never used to put my shirt on until I left the changing room. 

Reply : Fri 29th Jan 2010 12:17

Actually I'm not carrying much more.  just a different kind of weight and stroed in a different place

Reply : Fri 29th Jan 2010 12:24

Sorry, 'stored'

user24437
Reply : Fri 29th Jan 2010 13:09

Did you store it in a warehouse* before you transferred it to the front of your shirt then, Chris?

* In no way a derogatory remark - just a light hearted joke mate

Until I've finished the round tomorrow 

user26342
Reply : Fri 29th Jan 2010 13:21

Belfry "Mr Williams, did you say you were playing with Mr Perry?"

Paul "Yes why?"

Belfry "Well can you tell him to untuck his shirt & undo his laces please!"

Paul, "DOH!!!"

user24437
Reply : Sat 30th Jan 2010 18:47

Chuffing cold at the Belfry today, layer of ice just under the surface which meant I actually went through a few greens today despite pitching on them.  Apart from the ice the course was in pretty good condition and it was a beautiful day, still got a warm glow.

Cheers Paul for a good afternoon (and a 3 1/2 hour round!) and cheers to Chris for the freebie - we were both thinking of you painting! 

user89876
Reply : Sun 31st Jan 2010 20:37

the course i joined still isn't open yet (grand opening day may 1st with sky televised comp on the 25th) but they have opened the 9 holer which is playable, sadly the longest iron you need is a nine...unless it's windy.

user26342
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 14:09

Had a great matchplay on Saturday. Greens were froze so plenty of shots were played short of them.

Went 3 down at one stage, pulled it back to all square on the 18th tee & let's just say that I don't normally do worse than a par on the 18th.

Unlucky Dave but you had me scared at 1 point, if you had holed out on the 14th it would have been game over

user89876
Reply : Mon 1st Feb 2010 16:40

Wayne, it's in aid of the air ambulance, £1000 per 3 ball to be joined by a pro/celeb, you get a meal for 2 people each  and a DVD of your time on Sky.

user89876
Reply : Tue 2nd Feb 2010 17:55

Wayne..you and me both.

Last edit : Tue 2nd Feb 2010 17:55

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top