Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Anyone been out on the course yet ?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 17th Jan 2010 11:53 | Last Reply

anyone managed to play yet, courses back open ?

Last edit : Sun 17th Jan 2010 11:53
re: Anyone been out on the course yet ?
user52922
Reply : Sun 17th Jan 2010 12:50

Email from club this morning saying 13 holes open. We have 36, so they are pretty desperate.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 17th Jan 2010 13:07

Both courses at Stapleford Abbotts GC are open for play.

I went shooting this morning and called in at the Prirors course to find it very busy.

Not surprising really as the sun is shining.

I've even managed to talk the wife into coming out with me for nine holes.

I pulled a shoulder muscle at work last Monday night so I'm going to see how I get on swinging a club.

Russ

user40826
Reply : Sun 17th Jan 2010 14:49

Yeah just got back from my club.  Full greens, although tempory tees and a first outing for my new electric trolley! 

Stupidly wet, but still worth it.  Shot an 80 as well, draining some mighty putts today as well!

user34817
Reply : Sun 17th Jan 2010 16:14

I was out at Southern Valley this morning and it was not bad to play after all the rain / snow.  Fairways were damp but they drain really well.  All of the greens were fine.  Just a bit of a puddle in some of the bunkers but I managed to avoid that.  No temporary tees  to worry about.  35 points for first game of the year I don't think was bad!  I did putt like an absolute idiot though.

user41897
Reply : Sun 17th Jan 2010 16:53

How come todays PWL game was cancelled then Russ at The Priors?  Itching to get out today.

Playing tomorrow with Andy Barnes at Langdon Hills who say they are open so we shall see. Weather great today and looks okay for tomorrow. Looking forward to it..

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 17th Jan 2010 18:07

Andy, it's a bit of a joke really!

The golf club telephoned me on Wednesday to tell me the courses would be closed, therefore cancelling our game (and the two other societies that were booked in for today).

Then on Friday I got an e-mail from the course saying it was open!

Speaking with the pro it appears that the club decided that the best thing to do about the three societies was to cancel them early, thinking the courses would still be closed.

Then we had a rapid thaw and it caught the golf club out, the course was now playable (possibly!) but they had told us it would be closed.

They didn't think it would be open today so decided to let us know early, but on this occasion it backfired on them.

Russ

user38216
Reply : Sun 17th Jan 2010 18:35

Well done Paul, our Ar*es got well and truly smacked. Good enjoyable game though and it won't happen again!!

user26342
Reply : Sun 17th Jan 2010 18:39

Well done Righties. There won't be many days where my putting will be as bad as today so make the most of it
You both made good use of the six (6) shots you got.

user42974
Reply : Sun 17th Jan 2010 18:43

Yes Darren got a game in today at thorpe wood.

user118394
Reply : Sun 17th Jan 2010 21:47

PLAYED A MUNI AT WORKSOP (KILTON FOREST) WAS IN CRACKING CONDITION FULL GREENS BUT TEMP TEES.NO MUD OR PUDDLES ANYWHERE TO BE SEEN.

AND TO TOP IT OFF HAD A GOOD ROUND (38 POINTS)

MUST HAVE LONGER LAY OFFS MORE OFTEN . . . . . LOL

Last edit : Sun 17th Jan 2010 21:48
user26342
Reply : Mon 18th Jan 2010 11:47

Righties,

IF we had played to proper matchplay rules then it would have been 3/4's of the difference. So you would have got 6 BUT Mr Perry & Mr Homer would have only got 3. I think this is fair to say it would have made a BIG difference.

Yesterdays match you both got 6 & Mr Homer got none!! 

user52922
Reply : Mon 18th Jan 2010 15:33

An unfair match and a sad reflection on the handicap system adopted for it.

It looks to me as though it would have been a great game played level, as I suggested.

No shame in losing giving that many shots, John.

user26342
Reply : Mon 18th Jan 2010 16:21

John P,

they were not willing to play 3/4 so playing off scratch was outa the question!

I think that if my putting were of the usual standard or Dave Homer received the same shots as Perry it may have ended up all square?

If we had been playing for money then I would have insisted on 3/4's

Hope your better half is doing well.

user52922
Reply : Mon 18th Jan 2010 17:22

John F, I thought it would be pretty tough giving that amount of shots to those two, as they are both powerful hitters.

Still awaiting the final prognosis regarding my wife, but fingers are crossed. Thanks for your thoughts.

user26342
Reply : Mon 18th Jan 2010 20:24

Sounds good to me, you speaking for Perryranger as well?
Don't forget we'll have home & away fixtures

user38216
Reply : Mon 18th Jan 2010 20:37

Paul, I recall the crap shots being duffed chips from around the green. I think blaming the back is a poor excuse! Trying to execute shots with the precision of a scratch golfer was the problem, play the percentages. I know bumping an 8 iron isn't a beautiful shot but it works and would have been far more effective in some of the situations you were in. don't take it the wrong way, this will help you scoring no end. If you had adopted that approach yesterday the match would have been over even sooner!!

It was a really good match but none of us were at our best so probably a fair result all round really. Like I said yesterday, there is only one thing worse than a bad loser!!!!!

user41897
Reply : Mon 18th Jan 2010 21:10

Well, I made it out this morning to play.  I have a few lieu days from last year to use up so  headed out with new golfshaker Andy Barnes and showed him the sights of Langdon Hills Golf Course in deepest Essex. Actually seeing the sights was quite difficult as we started in fog and for the first 6 or 7 holes could barely see 50 yards.  Very boggy in places but otherwise pretty good. Only one mat on the 5th where the tee box is being rebuit and proper greens throughout and playing pretty well.

Neither of us played to our true potential not helped by the conditions but it was enjoyable and great to be out on a course again after so many weeks of snow and closed course.  Looking forward to playing again soon and with Andy B again.

user41897
Reply : Tue 19th Jan 2010 09:32

Yup Wayne, 14th at Langdon Hills is 175yd par 3 over the lake. It is a nice course and fairly forgiving (except on the 14th).

user41897
Reply : Tue 19th Jan 2010 13:42

Only managed to Par it I'm afraid Wayne. Did manage GIR and it is a nasty green

user38216
Reply : Tue 19th Jan 2010 14:03

Paul, I'm not blaming you or your ability, you played some nice stuff, if you had chosen safer shots you would have won by more! Yep Saturday was neutral, Handsworth clearly home for me and John and no doubt the belfry home for you (posh git!!)

Let us know when you fancy a game.

user26342
Reply : Tue 19th Jan 2010 14:33

Paul,

as Dave said a match on both of our home courses. Hope your back gets worse improves

user24437
Reply : Tue 19th Jan 2010 17:12

Al Bostock, Mike Hopkins and I all ventured out to Bondhay for a quick hack today.  The course was in absolutely tip top condition, especially as it was covered in snow up until Friday.  Only slightly marred by the fog, which was down to less than 100 yards visibility at times.  Despite this I think we only lost 2 balls between us (well, we didn't actually lose one of them, it was sat in the middle of an icy pond).

One of the tee boxes was soggy, only one temporary green and hardly any muddy patches anywhere.  The greens were a bit fluffy, so slow, but flat and true.  Amazing.

Oh and I managed to knock another 0.3 off the handicap.... 

user52922
Reply : Wed 20th Jan 2010 23:22

Two excellent rounds, John, I would be well pleased with that level of performance.

user79538
Reply : Sun 24th Jan 2010 18:55

Played full rounds on 1st and 2nd January, Texas Scramble on 3rd (cancelled from Sunday before Xmas), then came the snow!  Course re-opened on Tuesday 19th, but left it until Thursday for 9 holes only, then 18 holes on Saturday and Sunday (today).

Game's going reasonably well, but I bought a new wedge 2 weeks ago and only got to use it over the last 4 days.  I still have no idea how far it's going - need more practise!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top