Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Simple question, I'm sure!

Posted by: user259181 | Fri 8th Jan 2010 17:16 | Last Reply

Whilst we've been unable to play due to the weather, I've been thinking about some rules I don't know (most of them!)

My question is, while I know how to correctly mark my ball on the green, what I do not know is how to correctly mark the ball if my marker would be in line with somebodies putt who would be putting before me. I know you can move your mark to the side by one club length, but how do you line up the one club length to the side to make sure you get back to the same point?

Does my question make sense?

Lewis

re: Simple question, I'm sure!
user52922
Reply : Fri 8th Jan 2010 17:24

Lewis, if your marker is going to interfere with the line of a fellow player, he will ask you to move your marker.

After asking him whether one or two putter heads will suffice  the routine would be to mark you ball, then place the putter, with the toe of the putter directly adjacent to the marker aimed at something in sight to give you an exact line so that you can then return to that exactly. Then place the marker at that point.

Always take extreme care when doing this as it is very easy to forget how many putter heads you have marked away from the original spot.

I tend  to use the very flat plastic markers that would not interfere with the roll of a ball and very rarely get asked to re-mark, because of this.

Last edit : Fri 8th Jan 2010 17:25
user52922
Reply : Fri 8th Jan 2010 18:17

Lewis, I thought I exlained it in simple terms but if you watch the video again from David  it will confirm it to you. I think he said mark it on a tree or something.

user26342
Reply : Fri 8th Jan 2010 23:01

Lewis, when I move my marker I pick something in my eyeline like a tree, building etc that I can refer to when replacing it. Paul, the problem with using your putter to mark your ball the way your partner does is that they use the middle of the putter. Any slight hand movement can result in a movement of the club & will result in the ball being replaced incorrectly. Even more so in this weather if the greens are icy it could slip.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 9th Jan 2010 15:25

As it's obvious Mr Williams is questioning how I know I have placed my ball back in the same place when aligning against my putter, I can confirm that I line it up with the alignment mark on the top of the head and the face before picking it up.  He is welcome to check that Odessey have remembered to put it on there when the snow clears

user16163
Reply : Sat 9th Jan 2010 18:49

WE ARE NOTTINGHAM!!!!!

SAY WE ARE NOTTINGHAM!!!!!!!!

LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF THAT GAME 

YOOOOOUUUUUUU REDDDDDDDSSSSS

Sorry just cant help myself at times

user16163
Reply : Sun 10th Jan 2010 11:21

mr perry wasnt as happy with the scoreline though!!!!

certainly an inform team at the moment paul unbeaten in the last 18 games

hopefully 19 on tuesday in the fa cup replay against brummies

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top