Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Courses in and around glasgow

Posted by: user126890 | Mon 4th Jan 2010 19:31 | Last Reply

Hi Everyone,

Would any of you have a recomendation for a course in or around glasgow, maybe within about a 30 minute drive? I am going up in a few weeks for my stag weekend and wanted to get a round in on the friday. Had been considering the carrick but have read mixed things in regards to the condition of the course

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

re: Courses in and around glasgow
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 5th Jan 2010 10:36

Alan, here's a quick search of courses within 20miles of Glasgow

http://www.golfshake.com/course/courseSearch.php?list=advanced&coursename=&country=225&location=&
postal=glasgow&distance=20&minrate=0&maxrate=5&submit=submit

The Carrick is a fantastic course, amazing views, great layout and great test of golf.  

Condition wise I would guess it depends when you go,  when I played it was at the end ofthe season after pretty much 2 months of solid rain and they had just begun to treat parts of the course for 2010.  Would definately go back though toplay under true conditions.

user126890
Reply : Tue 5th Jan 2010 20:02

Thanks for that Darren.

Will be going on the last weekend of January and if this weather keeps up there wont be much golf but really hope it defrosts in time. 

Will have a look through the list and see if anything jumps out

Cheers

Alan

user94811
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 19:35

Alan, due to the bad weather recently you would be much better looking for a links course.

Dundonald Linksis not bad but I thinit is overrated. A much better course is Prestwick St Nicholas , which is only another 10 minute drive from Dundonald.

I think they are doing winter offers of £25 round. Take my word, it is one of the best courses in the west of Scotland

user126890
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 21:17

Thanks Drew, Will have a look.

Am originally from Kilmarnock so should know all of these places but didnt start playing until I moved down to the dirty south so its all lost on me!

Would you recommend prestwick over the gailes courses?

user129665
Reply : Tue 2nd Mar 2010 18:11

for info having walked around the Carrick this week end of feb 

id give it a miss unless your getting a freebie, very bland and not overly tough, winter doesn't look like the time to play it either

then again having walked Loch Lomond the proper course an invite is a must very tight as we all know  

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top