Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Help Please

Posted by: user278564 | Mon 4th Jan 2010 09:15 | Last Reply

Hello,

I'm new to here, still trying to work it all out.

Just need a little advice, I played in a few clubs over the xmas break and everytime i ended up in the sand pit! The thing is, the sand varies so much, sometimes it's soft and sometimes it's to hard! What is the best sand to learn these shots in. What is it supposed to be like?

Can someone give me some tips?

Thanx.

Jay.

re: Help Please
user99350
Reply : Mon 4th Jan 2010 11:19

Failing that you should remember that you use the sand to get the ball out: basically depending on how far you have to hit the ball dictates how much you hit behind the ball in the sand.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 4th Jan 2010 12:06

If the sand is really hard then try to chip the ball out of the bunker without hitting the sand, easier said than done!

A lesson is a good idea.

I had one with my pro and I now get out of most bunkers first time.

My next lesson with him should be to get out of the bunker and leave the ball near the pin, but hey, out is out and I'm happy with that.

Russ

user106712
Reply : Mon 4th Jan 2010 12:58

personally I like to use a 60 degree wedge for short bunker shots then I don't open the clubface. Icontrol the distance by varying how far behind the ball I hit thereby taking more or less sand.

Last edit : Mon 4th Jan 2010 14:07
user52922
Reply : Mon 4th Jan 2010 15:12

A ball lying in its own pitchmark in a bunker is known as a fried egg, because, usually that is what it looks like.

user78137
Reply : Sun 14th Feb 2010 21:45

Hi Jay

there are also variuos versions of sand used. some are fluffy some feel harder to hit through. some players open their club up to use the bounce on the sole.  some play a wide apart stance.

Bunker play is a whole game in itself.  realistically there isn't a quick fix. Visit your pro is a good idea. at least he/she will explain the different ways you can play out of a bunker.  But just like life itself you will then have to gain experience of different situations & different sand. in winter when sand can be almost like clay it can be difficult to hit just behind like you would in summer. better to try to hit the ball clean if you can. if you can find a practice facility that has a bunker then that is also a great way to practice..

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top