Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Would You Have Played?

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 2nd Jan 2010 19:21 | Last Reply

Played the Abbotts course at Stapleford Abbotts GC today. The tees and fairways were in a great condition, especially with all the snow/rain we've had over the last few weeks. Our only problem was the greens, snow, hail and ice on them. Not every hole but I'd say fifty percent of them. If you were given a choice would you play? I did, and to be honest I was glad I played. The only thing was that we should have played to the greens and then picked up our balls. Some of the greens didn't have much snow/ice on them but they were very bumpy. So, would you have played? Russ

re: Would You Have Played?
user52922
Reply : Sat 2nd Jan 2010 19:56

I would not have bothered, if I needed to hit balls because of withdrawal symptoms then the practice range would have been sufficient.

user26342
Reply : Sat 2nd Jan 2010 20:14

Russ, I played today & it was snowing on the 1st tee, we were on temps also! I'm glad I played as it got me out & somehow I managed to shoot an 86!

user243326
Reply : Sun 3rd Jan 2010 20:05

absolutley not. i am officially a lightweight.

My clubs only seem to work on BST.  

user99350
Reply : Mon 4th Jan 2010 11:21

CGL played last Sat...rock hard...mind you it's a good feeling when you reach a par 4 with a 3 iron lol.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 4th Jan 2010 11:23

I'm going to have to do some google research but I'm sure if you repeatedly stand on frozen grass it damages the root system and can cause long term problems ie killing it!

Anyone/gardeners know if this is the case for frozen grass ? or does the grass on golf greens withstand this by being specifically selected for heavy use ?

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 4th Jan 2010 12:01

Many years ago, when I first started playing golf on a regular basis.  The moment you saw any frost on a green you went straight onto temporary greens, no questions!

One of the boasts at Crown Golf is that they never use temporary greens.  The problem is that walking on the greens like I did earlier this week cannot be doing them any good.

I had to hit the bottom of my shoe with my putter before walking onto the green to get rid of all the ice on my spikes.  It was pretty obvious looking at the greens that most people were not doing this.

Russ

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 4th Jan 2010 12:15

Looks like the killing problem is caused if the ground starts to thaw,  If it stays frozen during the day/rounds they all is fine.

Nice golf forum for the turf industry

http://www.pitchcare.com/message/message/19010

user99350
Reply : Mon 4th Jan 2010 16:48

I think the need for money outweighs the detrimental effect.

user41897
Reply : Mon 4th Jan 2010 17:46

Col Astbury and I played on Saturday started at 0752 in the gloom. mats and winter greens on the Par 64 Jubillee course at Three Rivers.

The winter greens were shocking and everywhere was frozen solid including the water in many of the bunkers and a good number of the paths.

For all that we had an enjoyable round and despite the unpredictability of the bounce we both shot 78's.

For some strange reason I seem to play my best golf when conditions are bad.

user128240
Reply : Mon 11th Jan 2010 09:54

I thought I was the only golf nut out there. I played Epping on 27th Dec in the pouring rain got absolutly drenched would not have missed it for the world. Also played New Years day fantastic day but the greens were covered in snow and ice still great fun and beats staying in, played the next day as well did not finish round untill 4.30 and the last hole was completly black, luckily enough I was driving and hitting the ball straight and never lost one still scored quite well see you all soon David

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top