Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Do good golfers make good teachers

Posted by: user259247 | Tue 29th Dec 2009 16:20 | Last Reply

In my humble opinion......definately not.

I've had lessons from four different PGA qualified golf instructors now and only one came anywhere near giving what I would call "a good lesson". Three of them were really nice blokes and I would have no hesitation in inviting them to a bbq but I wasn't paying hard cash to meet nice blokes. The fourth was just the most negative person I have ever met and had nothing good to say about anything or anybody.

Whilst I have no doubt that all are top class golfers, the problem seems to lie in an inability to deliver a lesson and break it down into bite sized understandable chunks. It is one thing to have knowledge but quite another to impart it to others and I fear not enough emphasis is placed on this aspect when the PGA awards them their teaching qualifications.

Maybe it's because I am a teacher by profession but I really do feel like the Pro's I've had lessons from could benefit themselves by taking a course on basic lesson delivery, covering basic things such as explanation, demonstration, imitation and practice.

re: Do good golfers make good teachers
user26342
Reply : Tue 29th Dec 2009 16:37

Bring on the Santo!

user52922
Reply : Tue 29th Dec 2009 17:13

Phil, it is unfortunate that you have had this experience, but you have to take into account that in all probability these PGA professionals failed to make the grade themselves or are like some assistants who are never going to make the grade but have gone through the PGA course and feel that they have the right to take money and give lessons.

None of these things will ever give anyone the ability to pass on knowledge unless they themselves were an expert in any particular field.

To be able to put someone on the right path requires the skill to be ablke to diagnose the problem correctly. My experience tells me that very few have this ability.

When you add in the fact that they could not care less whether or not you improve should tell you something.

I have helped many people play this game well but I don't consider myself a teacher, more a coach, as I never attempt to alter ones swing just ensure that they include the basic fundamentals within the swing they already have.

There are some on this forum who, I feel, have benefited from my short and sharp pieces of advice, and if they didn't, then I am sure they will let you know.

user52922
Reply : Tue 29th Dec 2009 19:06

The pro was correct in saying that turning the left wrist away from the target will make it a stronger grip, but that, in my opinion will not be your problem. Only a good player can make subtle grip changes for different effects.

Your problem is one that is common to all those who take this game up and that is you are coming across the ball on the downswing causing you to slice. A good pro should have noticed this immediately and corrected it. The fact that four different ones have been unable to put you right is, I'm afraid what you get these days from the average club pro. It would take me less than ten minutes to have you swinging on a path, that will not only delight you, but set you up for life.

South Yorkshire is too far for me to be able to help you personally but we do have a very good player and ex professional up in Leeds by the name of David Lythgoe, who I am quite sure would look you over and put you on the right path. He is a moderator on this forum so when he comes online I suggest you ask him if he would be willing to have a look at you.

It is most important as a beginner to get correct instruction so that progress becomes more rapid.

Last edit : Tue 29th Dec 2009 21:17
user50843
Reply : Tue 29th Dec 2009 20:59

I think this grip change you mentioned Phil is something many teaching pro's use for  effect, the pupils tend to see results quickly therefore they think they are cured.The under lying problem is usually a swing path problem, as John mentioned, and/or failure to release the hands through the swing.A change of grip sorts niether of these out, as I have found out to my cost.  

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 29th Dec 2009 22:34

Tony, fully agree.  I've used grip tweaks in the past to help alleviate slice problems the longer the clubs get.

I've also had some minor swing tweak suggestions from someone on golfshake to correct swing path and has a much greater affect!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 30th Dec 2009 13:28

Phil,

In answer to your question, the answer has to be "No, not all the time".

You, as a teacher work to a Curriculum, so do most of the PGA Pro's that I call 'The Teachers'. Also many people go to a PGA Pro expecting instant improvement and when it doesn't happen, they blame the Pro.

You must have heard the joke about six year old Johnny, upon being told that 3+1=4, he is totally confused because he has only just learned that 2+2=4. The result is the same, but the way to it is different. This is the same with learning Golf, so seek out a PGA Pro who call themselves a Coach. They will then help you to put together a game that will help you enjoy the experience. Looking at your Blog and scores its seems that you may be expecting things too quick and easy. Changing your clubs on a regular basis will not help, you need to build a consistency into your game. You need to know roughly how far you hit each club. Its no use hitting a good shot with your Callaway 8iron that flies over the green because "last time I hit from here, my Hogen 8iron was OK".

My advice to you would be to split your Game into two. Part One, practice to gain a consistant strike and gain some control of where your ball goes. This is done on The Range. Part Two, is to learn how to get round the course. Learn the Rules (they do help you out there) and learn to keep the ball in play. Hitting a 5iron that you know will get you on the fairway 710 times is better than hitting Driver which you lose 710 times.

TheLyth 

Last edit : Wed 30th Dec 2009 13:29
user52922
Reply : Wed 30th Dec 2009 14:15

Very eloquent, indeed, only wish I had the same ability to write in a more coherent fashion. I also agree with The Lyth.

user52922
Reply : Wed 30th Dec 2009 17:35

Phil, it is obvious to me that you are really interested in playing the game better than you currently are doing.

Your experiences with the professional route has obviously been disconcerting and I can understand why, as they do tend to  give one a fault to correct a fault, instead of curing the fault that is causing the problem. Of course this fault has to be diagnosed correctly in the first place and this is where they do tend to fall down.

As you will have had much experience of gleaning information from books, being a teacher, then may I suggest that you purchase, or loan from the library, a decent book on the fundamentals of this game. Ben Hogan wrote an exceptional one but I do not know whether or not this is still in print.

Reply : Wed 30th Dec 2009 18:29

Phil,

If you had come to me when I was working as a PGA Teaching Pro I wouldn't have had you hitting Driver. If you came along shooting 110+ asking for help hitting Driver, I wouldn't have had you hitting Driver.

You say you are hitting everything BUT your Driver OK and a good distance, yet you have still to break 100. I have known guys get down to 15 Hcp before they were comfortable with a Driver in their hands, after all it is the hardest club to learn to hit consistently.

I don't understand your comment about elements missing from your lessons with a PGA Pro. How do you know they were missing? It seems that you may be expecting too much. I would forget your Driver until you have more control over the other clubs in your bag and your scores are into the low 90's.

TheLyth

Last edit : Wed 30th Dec 2009 18:30
user26342
Reply : Wed 30th Dec 2009 20:25

I agree with you David,

I've started to appreciate course management more lately & have been leaving the driver in the bag on a few holes now to guarantee accuracy. I'm only losing about 20yrds so on shorter holes it makes sense.

I think there is a bit of bravado or male testorone when it comes to hitting driver, if all your mates are doing it you wanna join in.

John.

user52922
Reply : Wed 30th Dec 2009 23:35

Phil, there is no limit to the amount of words in a post, but sometimes the site does not always accept the post when you press submit, meaning, of course that all the wonderful words you have spent some time writing are lost.

May I suggest that when you write a long post, that prior to submitting it, you should copy it to the clipboard so that, if the site plays up and does not accept the post, at least you can try again.

user24437
Reply : Thu 31st Dec 2009 11:31

Do good golfers make good teachers?  No reason why they should, and in my opinion there is no more reason that a pro will be any better than a hacker as a teacher.  I appreciate the point that Steve is trying to make about being taught how to teach but I think that misses the point.  Unless someone has a talent for teaching then it's irrelevant how good they are at playing because different pupils need different approaches.

As an example I read Steve's blog on ball flight, which I thought was a well composed and written piece, clear and concise.  However (and not a criticism Steve) for me, as an engineer, it's just too lightweight.  I would have liked to have seen a more detailed analysis of the flight dynamics and their relationship to the mechanics of the ball strike, but I realise that would be pointless for most people.  And that really is my point, my engineering background has given me the insight into the mechanics and dynamics of golf which probably far exceeds that of most pros, but as I'm not a good player should it preclude me from being a teacher?

Apart from the fact that I was a notoriously bad tutor when I was called upon to do it in engineering, and apparently instilled fear rather than confidence. 

Reply : Thu 31st Dec 2009 13:10

Any competent Golfer can "Teach" a novice. That novice can also learn a lot from DVD's and Books.

But, once you get to a certain level you need the experts, the guys who can see your faults and provide solutions. These guys also need to be able to discuss matters with you on the same Wave-length. I used to enjoy finding ways of passing on information in relation to my pupils expertise.

Today the Top Golfers are so far ahead of the rest, some tweak their swing in a manner that alot of PGA Pro's wouldn't pick up on.

Improvement is not hitting the ball straighter and further, its hitting more 'Good ones' and less 'Bad ones'. A complete beginner will hit one 8iron 135yds, but that will be from 100 attempts. As they get better, that 135yd 8iron is still the best but it will come from only 50 attempts.

TheLyth

Last edit : Thu 31st Dec 2009 13:14

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top