Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

A newbee question about equipment (irons)...

Posted by: user276830 | Sun 27th Dec 2009 00:27 | Last Reply

Ok I'm not technically a newbee but I might as well be after 10 years out....

After days of pre-Christmas internet research I feel like I know less about golf gear than I did when I started!

So help me if you can. My irons are more than 15 years old, they were second hand when I bought them and I've had them more than 10 years.

Questions:

Are modern clubs worth the investment?
Could having old clubs limit my improvement?
Have there been any major developments in technology in the past 15 years that will instantly improve my long iron play, ball striking or consistency?

I've been reading about clubs having "maximum forgiveness". Is this one of those made-up marketing gimmicks or are there more forgiving clubs than others?

Thanks all in advance!

Ray.

re: A newbee question about equipment (irons)...
user52922
Reply : Sun 27th Dec 2009 09:09

David has given a very good assessment of your questions, Ray. Nothing further to add from me apart from the fact that it is not necessary to buy new and shiny. Players discard their clubs after very short use these days, so there are plenty of secondhand bargains to be had.

Last edit : Mon 18th Jan 2010 15:27
user99350
Reply : Mon 28th Dec 2009 09:49

I agree, to me if I hit a duff shot with blades or a 'max' forgiveness club I will still be nowhere where I wanted to be so striking is the key as David mentioned. If you like the heads of your irons but the shafts are shot consider getting the clubs reshafted (will probably cost about £30-£40 per club (true temper dynamic gold). It's what I did.

user79118
Reply : Mon 28th Dec 2009 17:28

Ray. Quick look at your stats throws up a couple of questions. Double bogeys on first hole and then gradually improving may suggest that your not warmed up properly before you begin your round. Double bogeys on par 3's may suggest your short/mid iron game is in need of some work. Next time you play, try and keep a note of which irons or area of your game that is putting you in trouble. Missing left or right, coming up short etc. You may find that a bit of practice in these areas or even lessons may well benefit you more than shelling out on a new set of clubs. Only a suggestion.

Last edit : Mon 28th Dec 2009 18:07
user52922
Reply : Mon 18th Jan 2010 17:26

Well, Lewis, I was able to break par fifty years ago when all clubs were bought off the shelf and were all blades and persimmon woods.

Every years since I started the manufacturers have brought out new eqipment all claiming further distances, so  by now I should be able to hit it 500 yards, but as we all know handicaps have not improved at all.

user129665
Reply : Mon 18th Jan 2010 17:43

i think the right shaft would be the best option the head would'nt matter 

shafts are deffo much better more feel and if you go to a true fitter - they can give you a regular shaft with stiff tip (i was always told to have stiff shafts)

i prefer the reg shaft im using and my game feels solid even with blades hardly a bad strike then again i dont use 3-4-5 irons any more rescue / utilities are the future for me

if you buy a good brand - titleist or ping mizuno you buying good stuff even my bats ORKA are very well made well custom made for me

dont buy donnay or slazenger or your wasting cash - there shaft flex is all over the place especially drivers / woods  

user38216
Reply : Mon 18th Jan 2010 20:39

I hit 2 over (gross) on a 9 holer (Morthoe) with Donnay Clubs. Got to love the marketing hype that we all buy into - other than you of course JP.  As with all other previous comments, best wishes to Mrs P.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top