Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Darren, can we have? Bargains!

Posted by: user40826 | Sat 26th Dec 2009 12:00 | Last Reply

Darren,

Are we allowed to have a thread where people can post links to fantastic deals in the sales?

Thought I'd check first.

Chris (looking to spend his xmas money) 

re: Darren, can we have? Bargains!
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 26th Dec 2009 15:27

I cannot see any reason why he wouldn't allow you to post a link to a fantastic deal that you have found in the sales.

He'll be on soon so should be able to answer you.

Russ

user40826
Reply : Sat 26th Dec 2009 16:06

Some may disagree, and I know the new one will be out for the start of the season but,

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/golf-drivers/nike-sq-dymo-wide-body--1-driver/

Not bad for a driver that was worth over £200 a few weeks ago.

user40826
Reply : Sat 26th Dec 2009 16:09

This aint bad either - again £350 at the start of the season, what a difference a few months makes.

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/golf_drivers/nike_golf/sq_dymo_2_square_str8-fit_driver_golf_drivers/p9452

I do like the Nike golf stuff though.

user40826
Reply : Sat 26th Dec 2009 16:13

Not a bad deal for these balls...

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/golf_balls/srixon/distance_golf_balls_dozen_golf_balls/p2405

I love bargain hunting, although its not a bargain unless you really need it.

user52922
Reply : Sat 26th Dec 2009 16:23

Just goes to show what a rip off new clubs are in the first place if they can discount down to that level.

Personally I don't like to pay more than £30 for a golf club so these kind of deals are still very unattractive to me.

Made in China just does not ring any bells with me in respect of golf equipment. All the main manufacturers are not manufacturers at all, just one large marketing machine. Every year they claim an improvement over the previous year and so on and on.

If you really are serious about your game then one has to look at the Japanese for the build quality.

user40826
Reply : Sat 26th Dec 2009 16:59

Got to agree with you there John.  I never understand why the clubs cost SO bloody much at first and within 8 months hundreds of pounds are slashed off them. 

user52922
Reply : Sat 26th Dec 2009 17:36

They cost that much because there are far too many gullible people out there in the marketplace. So many new players taking up the game and think that is how much they have to spend to be any good, when we all know that one cannot buy a game.

user52922
Reply : Sat 26th Dec 2009 17:51

I popped down to my club today as they were advertising a cut price sale, but there was nothing there that interested me at the prices they were still asking for.

The course, however, is open for play again. No buggies for me though.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 26th Dec 2009 19:30

Don't see why not on.  Assuming you are a member of golfshake.com and haven't just signed up to post and are also posting links of interest and not links you have an interest in.

So yes all fine, it will be worthwhile for all.

No spammers though

user38216
Reply : Sun 27th Dec 2009 14:17

The reason manufacturers charge a fortune for new stuff is down to R & D, marketing, advertising costs.  When they are bringing out something new, the price of last years "must have" it is reduced to moe realistic levels. For example, my Nike Driver cost me the princely sum of £60, was £250 when released.  In my opinion Nike are the worst offenders for overpricing then slashing!

Also, beware of counterfeit gear, certain auction sites are full of the stuff!!

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 27th Dec 2009 17:22

The best thing to do with 'New' equipment is wait twelve months before buying it!

Now, if you do this then you suddenly won't have the 'New' model, but you'll have 'Last year's model'.

People are always after the latest gear so if you wait a year you'll find some bargains out there.  Not only that but the gear you'll have will only be a year old.

Russ

user50657
Reply : Tue 29th Dec 2009 01:02

As John mentioned manufacturing in China, I thought I would give you guys a bit of an insight. 9 years ago I was the General Manager of clothing manufacturers in southern china. We made stuff for all the big names, one ski suit we manufacured cost about $220 in labour and materials and retailed at $4000. The site I was managing had about 1400 staff of which something like 800 lived on the site (including myself). Easily the biggest site and workforce that I ever managed.

Nike were one of our customers and they invited me to visit one of their running shoe manufacturing sites. That site had 32000 workers who also lived there. The dormitories where they lived were 16 storeys high!  Adidas had an identical site right next door. The size of these operations have to be seen to be believed, The average wage back then was about $40/month, so you got what you paid for, the quality was never as good as UK production standards but the price pressure from the customer meant that quality had to suffer for the cheaper production costs.

Anyway thats enough rambling from me, hope you all have a good new year, and a successful year on the course.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top