Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf Fitness

Posted by: user275144 | Mon 21st Dec 2009 14:10 | Last Reply

Hey Guys,

Just interested in whether anyone works on their golf fitness and flexibility, obviously this time of year a good warm up is essential to prevent any injuries.

Do you feel that your swing could be improved if you're range of body movement was increased?

ps I hate snow

Stevecowlegolf

re: Golf Fitness
user52922
Reply : Mon 21st Dec 2009 14:18

My swing could definitely be improved if I had a full range of movement.

My problem, is that my brain still has the functions of a younger man and the conflict is between the brain and my body, with the brain insisting that it knows best.

It is strange that this only appears to affect my wood play. I just cannot find a swing that works all the time. Every tee shot, I am trying something new, searching for that elusive feeling that comes so easy when I am using an iron.

Perhaps I need to be committed to an institution.

Last edit : Mon 21st Dec 2009 14:23
user52922
Reply : Mon 21st Dec 2009 15:11

You are probably right, David. Merry Christmas.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 21st Dec 2009 20:02

Christopher,

You have hit the nail on the head.

The PGA is churning out Golf Teachers by the dozen but what is needed are Golf Coaches. They take what you've got and work with it to get the best out of you and some people have to be told, "sorry, you are wasting your money and my time, you will never get the hang of it".

We need to learn to swing with our body, and not how we think we should. Then if we do 'work out' our body can then accommodate change.

TheLyth

user77012
Reply : Tue 22nd Dec 2009 00:34

I absolutely agree fitness in golf is essential to keeping you fit and healthy and also to build up your stamina , that's why today i did 50 sit downs going to go for 60 tomorrow.

What's your regime Steve is it Golf specific or just general fitness?

Last edit : Tue 22nd Dec 2009 00:39
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 22nd Dec 2009 12:38

Jonny agree in terms of carry, unless it's ridiculously hilly or extremely hot.

In terms of fitness it really depends on the starting point.  If you have limited mobility in the core areas then improved fitness would help to a degree.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 22nd Dec 2009 13:20

OK guys, here is an exercise for you all to do. Back in the 70's, its what us Pro's did during the winter when we couldn't get out on the Practice Ground. And it was the only 'work out' most of us ever did.

Right, get a long Iron, say a 4iron and with it hanging down grip it at the grip end in only your fingers with the thumb pointing upwards. Now without using or moving your thumb, twist the shaft and work your way towards the head. Try both hands and see which gets the best results and let us know on here how you get on.

TheLyth

user38216
Reply : Tue 22nd Dec 2009 20:53

I had a lesson recently and at the end I had aching muscles that I did not realise I had on my body! I would say that fitness and working out would improve my game.  Just got to get round to it in between all the golf I play.

user77012
Reply : Tue 22nd Dec 2009 21:43

Well just finished 60 sit downs, I did 12 sets of 5 over the day and feeling good!

user50354
Reply : Wed 23rd Dec 2009 16:54

Did the gym 3 nights a week for a year but the old arthritus crippled me arms and hands after each visit so had to jack it in - could of kept going on the tred mill but 30 gold nuggets a month was a tad steep for that.

Got meself a bike now to do 3 miles every other day - its suprising how far 3 miles is on a bike when you first go and whats with all the gears - I still cant work them out...

It was tigers idea - reckon he rode a few bikes before a round...

user356537
Reply : Mon 28th Nov 2011 20:04

Here's my problem.  I know my winter league partner plays much better after several pints of cider!  Doesn't quite fit with the whole gym scenario!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top