Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Frozen Courses!

Posted by: user40826 | Sat 19th Dec 2009 08:39 | Last Reply

So off out this morning to play what will undoubtly be a frozen course. 

It's the last event of the year for our Society today - and as I am lying over 20 odd points ahead of the person in 2nd, I may be bringing home the Order of Merit for the second time in 4 years!

Anyway enough bragging

I've always had such a laugh when playing on frozen courses - just another different type of golf, I suppose.

So get your thermals on, whiskey in the hip flask and enjoy the pinball of a frozen course

Anybody else playing/played today?

re: Frozen Courses!
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 19th Dec 2009 10:53

Too much snow on my local courses to be playable.

Russ

user129665
Reply : Sat 19th Dec 2009 12:35

Time for the pink golf ball 

i hate rock hard greens and boggy edges game isnt worth playing  

user79118
Reply : Sat 19th Dec 2009 15:07

Ben. Agree with Wayne that Duxbury is better in the summer. Take a club more than you think. Some lovely holes on it.

user40826
Reply : Mon 21st Dec 2009 16:25

Sorry for the delay.  The course was rock hard on Saturday - was a fun day out overall.  We arrived on the car park at about 9.30 and it was reading -5 on the car computer!  

The golf was brilliant - some monster drives, and I mean Monster.  I felt like a pro hitting wedges into the temps all the time.  Although it was mostly wedges to hit about 30 yards before the temps and bounce, roll on.  I even missed an eagle putt on the par 5 last (made the 4 though!)

34 points was the winning score with me on 31, enough the secure the Order of Merit for the Year!

Maybe desert golf or city golf next on the golfing agenda!  

user40826
Reply : Wed 23rd Dec 2009 17:35

Ah man, yes rubber tees, a must for frozen play.  We still have not had a drop of snow here  Playing tomorrow again at my home club this time - should be a laugh.  Its a bit of a tradition now with my father in law: Golf, beer, curry, beer, whiskey - home in time for Santa!

user202373
Reply : Wed 23rd Dec 2009 23:10

we played weekend before last its totally unplayable when its like it is at the moment ,lottery putting big time ),duxbury nice m8 have you tried beacon park ?

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 23rd Dec 2009 23:27

Presumably everyone playing on frozen courses were on temp greens ?

Walking on frozen grass could kill it, which I suppose is more relevant to greens that have a concentrated area of people walking on it.

Last edit : Wed 23rd Dec 2009 23:28
user212276
Reply : Tue 29th Dec 2009 01:56

I've never played on a frozen course before, but it sounds like it could either be lots of fun or very frustrating. If the whiskey in your flask is strong enough, I'm betting it would be a great time.

user38216
Reply : Tue 29th Dec 2009 16:15

I played in a pairs competition yesterday and the whole course was frozen. The par threes were fun to watch the ball hit the green and bounce up in the air!

Well done to John Flood on winning nearest the pin and carrying me round the course!!

user26342
Reply : Tue 29th Dec 2009 16:41

Dave, we did ok for the conditions & we walked away with over 4 prizes! Your drive on the 7th was something to admire

user52922
Reply : Tue 29th Dec 2009 17:03

Well done lads, always nice to hear of a golfshaker pair taking all the prizes.

user38216
Reply : Tue 29th Dec 2009 20:14

Cheers John F, shame I can't seem to do it consistently at the moment, I must be breaking my left elbow away from my body on the back swing causing me to hit across the ball - I must call on JP for some expert advice on the next GS event!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top