Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Rusting

Posted by: user259181 | Tue 8th Dec 2009 16:16 | Last Reply

I've just noticed that my PW has started to get some light rust on the face,  once this process starts, can anything be done?

re: Rusting
user24437
Reply : Tue 8th Dec 2009 16:36

WD40 or baby oil will protect it - obviously must be dry before before starting a round 

user115085
Reply : Tue 8th Dec 2009 18:00

give them a good clean with soapy water and a nylon brush, then dry thoroughly and like Tim says spray with wd40. Trick is not to wipe off the wd40 - just leave it overnight.

user24437
Reply : Tue 8th Dec 2009 18:07

Depends whether you like rusty clubs really.  Personally I don't think letting them rust is a good idea, it certainly doesn't make them softer, rather every time you strike a ball you'll remove quite a large layer of the oxidised coat.  You may get more spin because of the greater surface area caused by the rougher, rusty surface but ultimately the club won't last as long.  The problem with a oxidised coating (rust on mild steel or bloom on stainless) is that it changes the composition of the metal, it becomes more porous (larger interstatial areas in the grain) which will fill with moisture, then when it's struck again it forces the water further into the metal, accelerating corrosion and the destructive dielectric effect.

So yes, just rub baby oil into them.

Top tip

Baby oil is also brilliant for cleaning stainless steel clubs and kitchenware with brushed or bright stainless facings!

user24437
Reply : Tue 8th Dec 2009 18:45

Yours may be maraging stainless or mild steel with a high manganese or chrome content Jason.  I know some oil can finished wedges (they're just heated and quenched in oil to give minimum protection, they are then usually oil coated for transport so they look good until they'e sold) are 'meant' to rust, but it doesn't do them any good.  And who makes money if they disintegrate....

user24437
Reply : Tue 8th Dec 2009 19:13

Mild steel with nickel plating then.  Nickel is quite soft as a protective finish so it's just probably worn away - problem is if you use anything abrasive to clean it you'll wear the coating away - WD40 should be fine and may even clean most of the rust off as well.

user52922
Reply : Tue 8th Dec 2009 19:15

Bog standard, you say, Lewis. They are a very expensive set of irons with a high chrome finish, I would complain to Mizuno. I have never had a club of mine, rust, yet I have played with numerous makes over the years.

user99350
Reply : Wed 9th Dec 2009 08:49

I used to have a set of Titlest pro 100, a great club but as they were mild steel the inevitable rust did come in winter if left in the garage (some clubs worse than others). If you use a thin layer of Brasso and leave it on the blade overnight it comes off a treat. The tricky bit is finding the right angle to ensure the brasso doesnt drip off.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top