Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Slipping on the backswing

Posted by: user46538 | Tue 8th Dec 2009 11:31 | Last Reply

What is the rule if you slip over on the backswing or downswing and miss the ball as a result?

All I can find is the rule that if you intended to hit the ball and you missed then it's no penalty, but you count that stroke as a shot.

However there is also a rule that you can pull out of a shot if you wish (I recall Tiger doing this at the Masters a few years back)

re: Slipping on the backswing
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 8th Dec 2009 12:29

Just looked in the updated decisions on the Rules of Golf 2010 - 2011 plus illustrated version and can't find any reference.

Like you say grey area and would say Wayne is correct.

user99350
Reply : Tue 8th Dec 2009 13:28

I reckon that the bird came into Tiger's view during his downswing and he definately intended to abort the shot (loking at the clip again you've still got to admire his control). For us hackers though, at that point,  I reckon we'd still go through with the shot. 

user231725
Reply : Tue 8th Dec 2009 14:14

This woman has no intention of pulling out of her drive... bird or no bird!!!!

user77012
Reply : Tue 8th Dec 2009 21:59

Not another one of Tigers birds coming out the woodwork is that #9

Jonny,I agree that it's an airshot and  if one tries to stop then this would I believe have to be called on by ones self as only that person would know if they were trying to abort. From experience I've never managed to stop after a slip but never totally missed the ball either

Incidentally I recall Big John Daley trying to abort after acamera went off.His injury caused him to withdraw from the event and visit the hospital .

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top