Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

course closed again

Posted by: user198914 | Wed 2nd Dec 2009 23:23 | Last Reply

hi guys

2 weeks ago my course was closed due to bad weather, we had some rain on the saturday and sunday, but the course was closed until tuesday,

Now with the weather we are having, the course has been closed since saturday, i know it has rained a bit but i think golf courses should be able to cope with rain.

I emailed the memberships manager explaining that im having to pay green fees to play other courses less than 5 miles away that are open, and explained how frustrating it is that they are closed, his response was to give me 2 free rounds!

Should I be expected to pay my membership every month when the course is closed, and if they relied upon pay and play players more would they still have closed the course for this long?

Paul

re: course closed again
user198914
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 11:41

That is what i was thinking, i wont join next year unless they have something planned to improve the drainage. if i payed fees every time i played there this month i would have spent £8. there as i have only managed to get out once. normally play 3 times a week.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 12:27

I am a great believer in that a Course should close its self and not be closed for bad weather, frost excepted.

TheLyth

user99350
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 12:48

Apparently it has been the wettest Nov since records began.

Re drainage: if your course has a problem, and this weather should answer this, then Wayne's suggestion is key. Drainage is very expensive and many clubs in this (economic) climate will have this at the bottom of their priority list. I have been at a club where drainage was a problem and nothing ever got done about it because of the cost. I left as I got sick of playing 6/7 temp greens at certain times in the year. I suggest you do the same.

user198914
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 13:35

thats is what i will do, the only problem is, i still have 5 months until i can move on, guess i will have to put up with the course closed until then, or hope we dont have any bad weather through the winter

user81455
Reply : Sun 6th Dec 2009 21:39

I think this is a case of you can't have your cake and eat it.  I am a member of a course that claims it is the best all weather course in Nottinghamshire.  It does drain exceptionally well having a sandy sub-soil and is usually playable within a few hours of heavy rain.  The only reason they shut the course is for heavy snow.  This means as member I have access to golf all year round on grass tees and proper greens.

The down side to this is that the course gets heavy use in winter and there are areas of the course where the fairways and areas around the greens are not in the best condition.  So in the summer we pay for are winter fun by sometimes having to play off bare bumpy lies that should be smooth fairway.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top