Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ball position???????

Posted by: user259181 | Wed 2nd Dec 2009 18:23 | Last Reply

I've just started a course of 7 lessons with the sole aim of to groove a good swing.....and with it rid me of my slice !!!!

I have a different Pro than with my first course of lessons as my first lessons were in at Fulford in York (45mins away from home) and I've gone with one of the Pro's at my club (Rudding Park in Harrogate).

He watched me hit a few....and naturally I duffed a couple..... The things that came out from the video were that on the backswing I didn't get my left shoulder over/close to the line of my right knee and that at impact my shoulders are open about 10deg

He put the open shoulders down to the fact that I have my ball forward in my stance. Now I have been using the Hogan method of having the ball position constant to the inside of my left heel (about 2in inside) and by narrowing my stance depending on the club........He said that this is very old school and the best way to go now is to have a constant stance width and move the ball around in the stance......7 iron-dead centre....shorter club- ball goes back / longer goes forward

Simple to understand and difficult to question him....but what do you guys do with your ball position and why? 

re: Ball position???????
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 03:40

Personally, I have the ball in the middle of my stance for the seven iron down to my lob wedge.

For my three to six iron I have it three inches inside my front heel.

The woods are different so I won't include them.

My ball position as mentioned above is for a full swing with each club. 

Russ

user50354
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 08:38

Left shoulder acroos line of right knee - that's one heck of a turn, I can feel my back saying ouch already - not saying he is wrong just that I had a similar experience with a pro and was in agony after every round. great if your yound and flexy not so good if ya a 50 year old clapped out diabeltic........

As for ball position I have 5 iron middle then slightly back over as I progress through the ranks.

Again my woods are different so no mention.....

user99350
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 08:49

From my point of view I don't think about it but it's more or less in the middle except with te driver...inside of left heel. If I'm into the wind I'll have the ball more to my right heel.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 12:36

Ball inside the left heel, all the time.

The number of times I have heard people say "play your shorter clubs more off the middle of the stance" then when you look at them, their ball position in relation to their left heel doesn't change. They seem surprised when this is pointed out to them.

TheLyth

user83555
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 15:47

I concur with Chris and TheLyth - nothing much wrong with Hogan's advice old school or not !

Last edit : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 15:48

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top