Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Stepping back in time

Posted by: user259181 | Sat 28th Nov 2009 15:07 | Last Reply

I had the opportunity to buy a 2,3 and 4 vintage Ben Hogan woods for less than a fiver....not sure of the date of them or the model. They are real wood woods and are in very good condition....totally useable.

So I took them down my range for a little test for fun........the heads are sooooo much smaller than modern woods but they feel really nice in the hands, great balance and I like the weight of the small wooden head. I was uncertain as to how they would 'hit' - as the face of the club seems to be a plate of some material litterally just screwed into the club with the screwheads on show...

but WOW......comparing the 3 wood to my wilson 3 'metal' wood was a real eye opener. I have never struck the ball as far or as straight with such consistancy - also my slice was reduced alot. With my metal 3 wood is normally a 165yard club with a fair slice, but I had half a dozen or so balls go past the 200yard marker with the 'wood' 3 wood - and this on a very cold misty morning too. It also was alot straighter and the ball flight was just lovely to watch. Was quite abit lower in a straight line kind of assent (if that makes sense???) It looked really nice - also the feel through the club was very smooth, I didn't really feel the impact but at the same time I was aware of the 'shot'.

The 2 wood was more difficult to use but with some practice I'm sure this would be the same as the 3 and 4 ......I'm tempted to take the 3 and 4 out with me on my next round and use them......The heads are a similar shape to my hybrid/rescue 4 'iron' and I've not had much luck with my current 3 'metal' wood.

I was very surprised 

re: Stepping back in time
user52922
Reply : Sat 28th Nov 2009 15:23

Once you get used to them, Lewis, you will. be able to work the ball whichever way you wish, something that is extremely difficult to do with the new modern titanium heads of today. The smaller heads promote better striking abilities also.

The boom in golf and the  disappearance of good quality persimmon forced the manufacturers to move onto steel and titanium.  It is nothing at all to do with technology, just another way of extorting cash from the gullible people who think that one can buy a game.

I took my persimmon driver of 45 years down to the range one day and the local pro immediately knocked it out of the range. He was gobsmacked and being a youngster that was the first time he had even seen a persimmon wood.

You will now know where the expression "Right out of the screws" came from.

re: Stepping back in time
user52922
Reply : Sat 28th Nov 2009 18:00

There are plenty of clubmakers who could re-shaft them for you, Lewis. The binding is put on afterwards to prevent the wood from splitting at that point where it is the weakest.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top