Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How easy does he swing???

Posted by: user259181 | Tue 17th Nov 2009 09:47 | Last Reply

This is a link to a Hogan vid showing loads of clips of his swing....It's a great vid with some good music. But how easy does he make it look!!!!  and some of the shots go like bullets !! Look at the shot at 1:07 - I see things like this and do wonder how a man with such natural ability and understanding through self learning would do in the modern game. Tiger will prob go down as the best ever.....but will anyone get close to the wonder and mystique of this man's swing?

When I look back at my swing compared to this....I feel like my swing is made up of 17 different planes and that I need to oil up my joints

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNgMNK3CtWU

Last edit : Tue 17th Nov 2009 09:58
re: How easy does he swing???
user25349
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 10:01

Thats fantastic.. I could watch that for hours..

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 10:19

None better to base your game on Lewis. He was a great player and would be the one to beat in the modern game as he used to hit GIR consistently.

I have a DVD of him playing an 18 hole match with Sam Snead on a course measuring over 7000 yards in Houston, Texas. He hit every green in regulation figures, something which is so rare these days that when it happens it is almost front page news.

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 12:46

but one thing that stood out was that at impact his shoulders and hips are very open.....in some instances he is nearly facing completely forward at impact!!

Lewis, I suggest you slow the swing down and stop it at impact and you will find that he is closed at impact, or the worst square.

David L's avatar is at impact and nowhere looking like shoulders open at impact.

The speed of the swing through the ball is deceiving you.

0.05 is a classic, as is 0.36

Last edit : Tue 17th Nov 2009 12:49
user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 15:00

NO he wasn't, jonny, right elbow is still way inside the left arm.

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 15:17

Interesting photo that does not tell the whole story to anyone who does not understand the basics of shotmaking. This is the 13th (Azalea) at Augusta and Ben is playing from the right had side of the fairway/rough which you should well know will give him a lie with the ball above his feet, so, like any really good player he has compensated for this in his set up to minimise the risk of pulling the ball left.

Bob Rotella will not tell you this, jonny.

Just a few links that might help you understand.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_6_53/ai_86204865/

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/tuition/le
sson3.html

http://www.articlesbase.com/golf-articles/5-golf-tips-on-driving-better-off-the-tee-989934.html

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 15:47

You need to go to specsavers, jonny, that animated gif shows nothing of what you are saying it does. The shoulders have not moved out of line at all. Put your cursor on his right shoulder and you will see that it stays dead square.

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 16:02

It is a waste of time attempting to discuss something that should be obvious.

Strange as though it may seem, the arms are attached to the shoulders and when both hands are on the club the unit is one. This means that the path taken by the shoulders has direct bearing on the doirection the hands are being swung.

In order for the ball to be hit straight then the shoulders must remain square to that path, what they do after impact is just a ntural progression of the swing.

Any movement causing the shoulders to open on the downswing is immediately changing the path of attack through the ball and cannot possibly hit a straight shot.

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 16:25

Tiger is correct here as well. No wonder he is a great player.

Tiger through the ball

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 16:30

At impact they are all square and at the pace of the swing it is obvious that the impression they are open is because once past impact then the right arm has to pull the right shoulder open.

Tiger has not moved anything apart from his arms and hands through that clip I have just posted. Still perfectly square even fractionally past impact.

I look forward to our next game where you can demonstrate to me your new top half of the body open at impact, is this the secret to your rapid improvement into single figures?

Last edit : Tue 17th Nov 2009 16:32
user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 16:49

John, the problem with your theory is that golf shots are not straight, they are either left to right or right to left, no matter how small the deviation, a straight shot is nigh on impossible.

Of course golf shots are not perfectly straight and that is because we, as humans, are not able to repeat exactly the same movement each time when we swing. Those who do it the best are the best players. The plane of the swing is bound to vary fractionally every time we swing and of course that will mean that the clubface will not always be 100% square at impact but because of the path, a fade or draw will be the result. The extremes of course we see on the course everytime we play with the higher handicappers slicing pretty badly. If only they could keep square at impact.

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 17:32

I give up.

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 18:51

If I want to hit a soft draw from a square stance I will keep my right shoulder back more, to hit a fade I open the shoulders. Slight adjustments can then be made with the hands to either close or open the clubface.

Steve, do you do this by only aligning the shoulders for the shot you want to play or do you do as I do by opening or closing the stance to whatever degree of draw or fade I am looking for which automatically aligns the shoulders for you.

I notice that you said that you also make adjustments with your hands which tells me that you have a feel for what your swing is doing. I used to hit an open stance draw which required feel for where the club needed to be to achieve it.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top