Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Is This Legal?

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 7th Nov 2009 17:08 | Last Reply

I was thinking about keeping my golf ball warm now that the temperature is getting lower.

Normally, between the green and my next shot I will keep my golf ball in the palm of my hand, and also in my pocket.  Hopefully this will keep the ball warm enough for it to perform normally.

Then I thought about getting one of those pocket hand warmers and keeping a golf ball in there.  Then having two golf balls, and using each one for one hole and then change it for the warm one, whilst putting the used ball in the hand warmer.

Taking this to it's extreme, I could, now that the winter rules are with us, change the ball for each shot.

At the moment I'm using Pro V1x golf balls.

I know that in a competition you have to use the same golf ball for the entire round, but is there a rule that would prevent me from changing my golf ball for a warm one, of the same make, after each shot?

Russ

Last edit : Sat 7th Nov 2009 17:14
re: Is This Legal?
user52922
Reply : Sat 7th Nov 2009 18:12

I know that in a competition you have to use the same golf ball for the entire round, but is there a rule that would prevent me from changing my golf ball for a warm one, of the same make, after each shot?

What happens when you lose a ball, Russ, giue up the round entirely. Of course not.

It is perfectly legal to have another ball in your pocket, keeping warm and using it on the next hole. Of course you notify your playing partners of the change of ball.

A ball can also be changed at any time if you deem it is in such a poor condition etc but the ball cannot be used again during that round.

Last edit : Sat 7th Nov 2009 18:12
user99350
Reply : Sun 8th Nov 2009 11:10

Russ perhaps you could paint an inch long uranium enriched paint line on your ball and kill two birds with one stone.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 9th Nov 2009 12:21

I'm sure you have to hole out with the same ball that you start the hole with unless you declare that ball lost under penalty, which totally defeats the object.  There's nothing to stop you changing ball between holes. 

user52922
Reply : Mon 9th Nov 2009 17:01

As  said before, Chris, one can change a ball if one deems it unfit for play at any time during a round. The only proviso is that the ball, once changed, cannot be used at any time during the rest of the round. One does not have to wait till the next hole to do so.

user26342
Reply : Mon 9th Nov 2009 17:03

So effectively you could use up to 36 balls in a round by deeming your 1st ball off the tee unfit & replace it with another one for your 2nd shot.

user52922
Reply : Mon 9th Nov 2009 17:10

Interesting that one, John, but one usually shows the ball to ones playing partners pointing out how the ball has become unfit. As I also said, once deemed unfit for play then it can no longer be used in that round, so working on  your theory one would need to carry a lot of balls. Are you up to it?

In the old days it was a common occurrence when one hit a balata a bit thin then it puckered up like mad.

user38216
Reply : Mon 9th Nov 2009 18:20

I could use over a 100 if i damaged my ball on every shot!

user52922
Reply : Mon 16th Nov 2009 18:43

Not illegal to warm it in your pocket as that is not artificial.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 13:35

Moving on from this subject, here's another question.....

Could I keep a spare ball in my pocket and use it just for putting?

The last three rounds I've played my ball is covered in dirt by the time I get to the green.  So I wipe it with my towel but the dirt is still there and it could affect the way my ball rolls.

So my idea is to keep a clean ball in my pocket and then when I mark my first ball on the green I replace it with my clean ball to putt out with.  Then back on the next tee out comes the dirty ball....

I'm certain I know the answer but what do you think?

Russ

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 13:52

Of course you know the answer, Russ, don't even think about it.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 17th Nov 2009 14:59

Yes John, I know the answer..... 

I do think I will have to get one of those ball cleaners that I can hang from my bag.

Russ

user24437
Reply : Thu 19th Nov 2009 12:44

OK, haven't got much on a the moment so have just tried an experiment.

Have kept a Srixon AD333 in my pocket for the last hour or so, it's nice and warm.  I placed another in the freezer.  I then drop tested both of them on my old ball noise signature plate (old thread - some might remember it) and guess what?  The cold ball rebounded about 50mm higher!  This is obviously because it's slightly harder with a more efficient transfer of energy off the hard plate.  Therefore a cold ball will, in fact go further but will be a lot less receptive to spin.  So what you need to do Russ is to adjust the temperature of the ball according to the distance of the shot....... 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 19th Nov 2009 12:47

Top tip Steve

This time of year I ususlly take one or two clubs more depending on how much of my own breathe I can see.

user24437
Reply : Thu 19th Nov 2009 13:27

Jonny, don't know, will have to see if I've got a Pinnacle somewhere..

user99350
Reply : Thu 19th Nov 2009 14:14

I suppose that makes sense Jonny. Do all balls have to weigh the same or be within a range?

user77012
Reply : Thu 19th Nov 2009 16:18

A few guys I have played with in the past use hard balls for Par 5s and soft ones for par 3's and short par 4s.

That to me appears to be technically cheating morally at least ,I do know a professional would not be allowed to do that.

user52922
Reply : Thu 19th Nov 2009 22:55

Patrick, all golf balls must weigh the same. i.e 1.62 oz.

user26342
Reply : Fri 20th Nov 2009 11:59

A few guys I have played with in the past use hard balls for Par 5s and soft ones for par 3's and short par 4s.

Why isn't this allowed? As long as you play the hole out with the same ball where's the rules being broke.

I agree with Dave, it's morally wrong but I'm sure I heard a story about Monty once where he played a new ball on every hole.

Surely if your in a medal or comp & before you tee off you declare what ball your playing with your within the rules? I may be wrong & there maybe a case where you can't reuse the same ball (I know that is true if you declare it unplayable).

Wouldn't this be the same with people swapping to a 'wet' glove when it rains & then back to their normal glove when it stops?

** You beat me to it Jonny **

Last edit : Fri 20th Nov 2009 12:00
user26342
Reply : Fri 20th Nov 2009 13:51

But that being said, I take no offence if someone was to swap balls mind round.

OUCH!!!

user77012
Reply : Fri 20th Nov 2009 17:39

Probably being a bit pedantic but it's not something I would feel comfortable doing. I only use the same make and model ball when ever I play in general play or competion.

Perhaps I should carry a pinacle gold for them longest drive holes

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top