How bad is my swing?

Posted by: user259181 | Thu 5th Nov 2009 19:05 | Last Reply

I've indicated where the ball went too

Last edit : Thu 5th Nov 2009 19:07
re: How bad is my swing?
user52922
Reply : Thu 5th Nov 2009 19:30

Hi Lewis.

The swing is  fine, has a nice tempo and is nice and smooth all the way to a good finish.

The problem is that you are swinging the club on the wrong plane caused by throwing the right shoulder forward as the first movement of the downswing, putting the whole path of the clubhead outside the line causing you to come from the outside in.

I could cure this in ten minutes but I live nowhere near you, unfortunately.

user52922
Reply : Thu 5th Nov 2009 20:39

Any method will, on occasion hit a good ball, but to do it consistently, a sound method must be adopted.

There are many schools of thought on how a golf club should be swung, but I only endorse the method that gave me what I ever wanted from this game, i.e. a scratch handicap.

Todays thought of the day by Wayne was spot on and you would do well to take that advice to heart as it is the basis of a sound swing.

A couple of thoughts that might help you. Keep your right elbow close to the body on the downswing, yours is nowhere near it, and secondly at impact the shoulders should still be square, only the lower half of the body has turned towards the target.

Last edit : Thu 5th Nov 2009 20:40
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 5th Nov 2009 23:18

First of all Lewis, for someone who has only been playing a few months it looks good.

To be critical, and going towards perfection:-

1. Straighten your legs more.

2. Tuck your right elbow more into your side from the top.

3. Clear your left side more through impact which will allow more room for your right hip.

TheLyth

user99350
Reply : Fri 6th Nov 2009 09:28

Lewis, I reckon it's all covered by the wise words above. My observations were I thought you crouch. I think you have a good tempo and backswing albeit not on the perfect plane but the damage is really done on the dowswing as the reason fror your slice is obvious. I'd also try giving it less humph as you start your downswing as this is where the I think this is when you really start to come accross the ball.

Having said that, it's not a bad WIP swing.

PS Take your time, you can learn from bad and good shots.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 6th Nov 2009 13:38

"Demonstration" and "Manipulation" are two of the biggests assets you get from a one-to-one lesson with a Pro.

Putting into words what you mean is difficult at times, it depends on what the Reader thinks you mean.

When you are learning something new, it is always easier to understand it, if you know why you need to do it that way. It is easy for someone to say "Keep your left arm straight" but it helps to know that the reason why you do that is to keep a constant distance from your left shoulder to the clubhead (even if that distance is bent at the wrists).

Looking at Lewis's swing, a the top of the backswing his shaft is pointing at the target and the clubhead is square (good). He then seems to start his downswing with a turn of the shoulders rather than dropping the hands.

What do I mean you ask?

There are three "Trigger Points" that start the downswing, 1. The Hips, 2. The Shoulders & 3. The Hands, each one will trigger the same movement but the initial direction of that movement has to be correct. The Hands being dropped is the one most people find works best. By thinking of the hands dropping it usually brings the right elbow in close to the body so allowing for a release of the club down the Target Line. Its like a salute, Long way up - Short way down.

Hope this helps for now.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top