Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

distance and what club to use

Posted by: user270701 | Thu 5th Nov 2009 11:04 | Last Reply

Hi all, New to the game, What is the best way i can judge what club to use for the distance i am trying to achive. Is there an average club for each distance or should i just try and try again and get a feeling

re: distance and what club to use
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 5th Nov 2009 13:36

Hi Andrew,

I suggest that if the course is quiet you hit three or four balls from the 150 yard marker into the green with your 7 iron.  If you come up short, try a 6 iron, long an 8 iron, etc.  Once you have found your 150 yard club it's much easier to figure out which club you need based on how far you are from 150 yards out. 

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 7th Nov 2009 01:57

What Chris has said is a very good way to learn your distances.

I normally say ten yards difference between each club, my seven iron is 150, so my eight iron is 140 and my six iron is 160.

The only blip with this is between my pitching wedge and my gap wedge.

Russ

user248456
Reply : Sat 7th Nov 2009 14:44

Andrew I must agree with Mr Marshall on the average list of distances he has provided, also wind and temperature ETC. If you are new to the game and obviously wanting to learn may I say enjoy the game first and the rest will come. I play as one of a four ball and we all use different clubs after we have hit the ball we converse on which club you used and it always surprises us. One other tip if you like go with your first choice never go back to the bag have faith my friend. Mr Hartley is also correct you can take some time out and work your own distances, I have never taken driving range distances off of mats or feeders as being true I don't know what others may think? Anyhow keep swinging and above all enjoy.

Last edit : Sat 7th Nov 2009 14:53
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 9th Nov 2009 12:09

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top