Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Is there a major in him?

Posted by: user213896 | Mon 2nd Nov 2009 17:02 | Last Reply

Watched the world matchplay over the weekend and was very impressed with Ross Fisher, probably the best i have seen someone drive a ball, very long and hardly ever missed a fairway.

If he can produce this in a major im sure he could win one,

Who do you think has the best chance of a major out of the british tour players?

Last edit : Mon 2nd Nov 2009 17:11
re: Is there a major in him?
user24437
Reply : Mon 2nd Nov 2009 17:36

I've always thought that he had a chance - and if he keeps that sort of form up I can't see why he shouldn't take more major titles.  Amazing display of consistent driving on the 18th in the semi-finals - 4 drives, all within 10yds of each other and all about 300yds.  Stunning.

user231221
Reply : Mon 2nd Nov 2009 22:34

Fisher did really well and was right in there at the Open which was awesome considering he was about to become a dad. He strikes me as the kind of guy who is equally at home in a Tournament or sunday fourballand with his level of consistency I look forward to seeing him at the Ryder cup.

I also think Luke Donald has an excellent swing and will maybe win one or two if he gets his injuries sorted out.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 2nd Nov 2009 23:08

Would love Westwood to do something but he should have had the experience by now to have clinched the Open.

Fisher does seem calm, cool and collective.  2010 could be a very interesting year.

user38216
Reply : Tue 3rd Nov 2009 08:07

He's got much more of a chance than Lee Westwood as Fisher is a lot more consistent with the putter. I don't have the stats, its just my perception!

Either Poulter or Fisher will take a major next year.  More likely Poulter in the US.

user26342
Reply : Tue 3rd Nov 2009 15:07

No doubt Fisher is an excellent player but I still think over 72 holes he is still missing something. Maybe something to do with his comment after won the Volvo matchplay where he said "I like matchplay because I'm an agressive player". Sometimes in strokeplay you need a little bit of patience.

I'm not writing him off but I fancy Westwood to win a major soon. His recent win will hopefully get him out of the habit of losing & on to bigger & better things.

user26342
Reply : Tue 3rd Nov 2009 20:16

Greg,

Matchplay is a completely different mindset to strokeplay which is why some players do better than others.

Over a 72 hole competition you can't be agressive on every single hole, you have to be patient & except that you may have to take par on some holes.

I'm sure Ross Fisher would love to go back to the Open & play the 5th hole again. I bet he'd play it a bit less agressive & walk off with par rather than quadruple bogey!!

user127691
Reply : Wed 4th Nov 2009 12:36

Don't agree with the Ross Fisher putting comments. If Ross Fisher could putt he would be a major champion already.

Ross is no.1 ranked for GIR and abot 200 ranked for his putting. In the open I think I remeber him shooting a round of 68 with 35 of those being putts his accuracy is fenominal and if he leasrns to putt he will be a multiple major winner.

user127691
Reply : Wed 4th Nov 2009 12:46

Just to add to my point above did a bit of research Ross is ranked 186 for putting and averages 1.87 putts per GIR and 31.33 putts per round.

A definate weak point in his game if he wants to be ranked in the top ten or win a major.

user25349
Reply : Wed 4th Nov 2009 18:06

Yes..

user38216
Reply : Wed 4th Nov 2009 18:25

Very impressed about the Ross Fisher stats...

If he carries on putting like he did in the matchplay then he'll do a lot better going forward.

user52922
Reply : Wed 4th Nov 2009 20:50

It is impossible to say who has a major in them as we have all witnessed the unknown suddely winning one out of the blue.

Personally I would rather have Monty's record than worry about winning a major. It is just another tournament on another four days which everyone hopes will coincide with a decent  bit of form.

With the money at stake throughout the field then there is not that much incentive. First ten places for money would soon focus the mind.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top