Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Lonely but happy !

Posted by: user259181 | Sun 1st Nov 2009 09:32 | Last Reply

Guys,

At the moment I'm just having lessons and practicing - with a proper round only once every two weeks or so. I have my last lesson in my current course of lessons next week and I plan to just practice, practice, practice over the winter. I will of course still have a proper round at least once every two weeks - I've been going round on my lonesome so I can just concentrate on what I'm trying to do.

Am I right in saying that if I continue to go round on my own that I cannot get a h/c at my club?.....should I even worry about having one just yet? My plan is to just get myself to a half decent level (from being a total beginner as the base level ) come the start of the new season,  not sure what h/c that would be but I guess around 18 ....?

re: Lonely but happy !
user99350
Reply : Sun 1st Nov 2009 10:12

Hi Lewis, I'm glad to hear your intention and committment. No thre is nothing wrong playing on your own as it does focus you also you can play more than one ball, trying diffent shots from the same spot etc (providing noone else is about).

Re your handicap: you can only get a handicap by putting in three cards, playing off the comp tees, accompanied by a member who will record your score. I wouldn't worry about what handicap you think you'll be, the buggers have it sewn up against you.

The important thing is how you feel about it. The positive side is that it does spur you on to compete against yourself to play to your handicap, also there's the whole new world of club comps but the downside is that you'll become increasingly pissed off if you don't play to your handicap. Remember you're never going to get 36+ points every stableford comp (not even Tim Hawkins does that) but on the occasions you do a medal under par it'll renew your enthusiasm for the game.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 1st Nov 2009 10:37

Stick with your plan, it's sounds good to me.

Once you are getting settled with your golf then maybe you could have somebody join you for your round.

It's pointless getting a handicap if you are not ready for one.  If you can go round the golf course less than twenty five shots over par then you can go for the handicap.  Remember though, playing off the comp tees with somebody else will be quite different to playing on your own.  At my club we can play off the comp tees at any time so if you can do that then do so.

The way you are going about it sounds right to me so good luck with it.

If you have progressed over the winter months then you should be able to announce your new handicap when the spring comes.  If you intend to play comps at your club then get your three rounds in before they start.  At my club you have to play three rounds to get your handicap, and then play three monthly medals before you can play the big comps.

Russ

user38216
Reply : Sun 1st Nov 2009 18:51

Good luck with your aspirations but 18 might be a little much to expect unless your lessons pay off.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top